My son had a perforated ear and was given Zithromax and Ciprodex. From the drainage of the ear and antibiotics killing the good bacteria he developed Aspergillus Niger (a fungus) in his ear. He was switched to Lotimin drops. He had another ear culture and now has a Staph infection in this ear. Waiting to hear from the doctor what he should be on now. The nurse guesses it will be Ciprodex or Floxin again. What a vicious cycle? Do we need to worry about another fungus? What can we do other than probiotics? Any suggestions?

We've been dealing with the same thing with my daughter for 7 months-- She required oral Clindamyacin and ciprodex drops to get any relief b/c her staph infection turned out to be MRSA. Its been a very expensive nightmare. We also did a day in the OR for the doc to irrigate the ear canal and check for polyps.

Have had mrsa since june of 2007 diagnosis and finally turned to a mastoid ear and had mrsa complications and 3 1/2 hours of surgery. and just six months later this same ear same c**p again, need tubes to drain again, now four months later, told have staph infection again and given floxin again, which did not work last time and i know in my heart it will not work again....does this cycle of mrsa ever end when a person gets it. Ironically, i collapsed 4 months after mastoid surgery at home ...my heart pacers now going bad, had pacemaker defibillator installed, always feel feverish, other night ran 102.6 temperature for 12 hours, finally broke, now with diarhhea, diverticulititis, ringing in ears, pus andblood always running out of my right ear that had surgery, feel like no energy, tired all the time......constantly at the ent at mpls va, yet never get it cleared up.....please email me with advice or i want to hear from others who have similar situation.....has ruined my life....was an auctioneer for 30 years and now all down the drain....caught it at st.cloud, mn va medical center

I just found out that I have MRSA in my ears yesterday. I am going to an ear specialist and I am hoping that his treatment will do the job. I have had problems with my ears for over a year. Here is what he is having me do: I irrigate my ears 3x a day with an 1/2 portion of alcohol(70%) and 1/2 portion of white vinegar. After thirty minutes I put in antifungal drops. (Did I forget to mention that I have a secondary yeast fungal infection in both ears?) The next day I am to do the same irrigation process but use the antibotic drops instead of the fungal drops. Also, it is important to keep the ears as dry as possible. Therefore, when taking a shower I have to spread neosporin on a cotton ball, place it inisde my ear and cover it with tape. I am also taking an oral antibiotic for 30 days. As I said, I have been experiencing ear problems and pain for over a year. I started the irrigations about four days before I found out about the MRSA. I can honestly tell you that my ears are already starting to feel better. The irrigation treatment stings like crazy and stinks to high heavens, but if you put a little neosporin in after the irrigation it helps a lot. (This is reccommended by the doctor). If your doctor has not suggested any of this, I would ask him. Good luck.

I have a similar situation to all of you guys. I almost died of meningitis when I was 11 due to an ear infection turned mastoid infection. ALWAYS GO TO AN E.N.T. AND NEVER TRUST A PRIMARY CARE PHYSICIAN OR PEDIATRICIAN WITH YOUR EARS!!! I have been pretty much ear-infection free since my mastoidectomy in 1987, but due to my right ear being completely damaged, I have just fragments of an ear drum, the bones have deteriorated, and I have significant hearing loss. I finally decided 3 months ago to invest in a hearing aid. I absolutely LOVE the new hearing that it has provided, but to my disappointment, I have just gotten my first ear infection in over 20 years, probably from the moisture build-up behind the hearing aid (which does have a vent). The culture came back this morning, and it's staph.

One thing I've just invested in is an ear dryer. Check it out and check out the reviews! It's the product on the top right. 95% of consumers love it and have been able to rid their ears of nasty moisture-based infections and fungus. The ear dryer was developed by an E.N.T., and as you all know ENTs say, "don't stick anything smaller than your elbow in your ear," ie: q-tips, etc. My ear dryer just arrived yesterday. I will let everyone know if it helps, along with the antibiotics.

I wish EVERYONE luck with their ears. There is really nothing worse, and it is a vicious cycle.

My son was in the hospital for a ROTA virus and about 2 weeks later i had a little red pimple pop up on my neck. i put neosporin on it & went 2 bed but when i woke up the next day there was a hole in my neck !! I went 2 my doctor and she sent off a culture and it came back as MRSA. It scared me 2 death. She put me on Bactrim twice a day for 10 days then we did another swab and it was still there. In the time i was on the antibiotics the infection moved to my right ear also.It feels like someone is stabbing you with an ice pick!!! Now i'm on my 6th round of antibiotics and no clser to getting rid of it than i was when i first got it. If anyone has any solutions for me i would be very grateful to hear them. 

i am sufffering from the same thing. i developed MRSA in my right ear, i had to have a pic line put into my arm and was on 3500mg of meds per day for almost a month, i have had two ear surgeries to have tubes put in my ear the first tube got infected and had to be removed and replaced now this current tube i have is not working either. today my ear is throbbing, hurting, numb, fills full of liqiud and my balance is off. i have had the symptoms of feeling so tired and depressed because im not my normal self, i thought that once i had the surgery and the treatments i would be MRSA free i see i was wrong it has been over three years and still i am suffering.

I completely understand after going thrsurgeries constructive surgeries on the left side of my face. I have developed a horrendously bad staph infection, thank The Lord I am methicillicin sensitive , had the PIC line put n and doing 2gm Naficillin every 8 followed by 1gm of merropenemem, takes 5-6 hrs for bot each time. I'm on mine for 4 weeks and may steel have to have surgery.

please try colloidial silver drops in your ear..it can also be taken orally to boost your immune system.  had a staph mrsa ear infection for close to 5 months.  had a series of oral drugs along with ear drops.  by the 5th month i had had enough.  went to my health food store and they recommended the silver.  3 drops in ear twice per day.  less is best with this treatment. the silver prevents the mrsa from multiplying.  i added a daily treatment with my neti pot.  i finished my oral meds and decreased the antibiotic drops in my ear while using the silver.  my infection has finally subsided...told my doctor what i was using.  he didnt want me to continue since i had a slight hole in my ear drum from the infection but i didnt listen to him.  my last visit the infection is no longer draining and the hole has finally closed.  i am now left with compromised hearing which may or may not get better and a cracking noise in my ear that comes and goes.  my doctor says there might be some fliud trapped behind my ear drum..i am continueing with the silver, the neti pot and i am on a daily dose of flonase. at times i need to hold my nose and close my mouth and gently blow in order for my ears to clear.  tomorrow i am going to get simethicone tablets (gasx) since i am reading that i might have bubbles in my eustachean tubes which could be why they are not draining correctly.  gasx has shown promise in clearing up this problem. 

Back in 2002 I got my first mrsa ear infection from a patient. I am a nurse and she would cough so I would turn my head and she would cough in my ear. I asked the doctors at that time to culture it for mrsa. No one would including my ent. I had the infection from sept. to august of the following year. Back in the month of march I finally saw a doctor who did culture it for mrsa and guess what if was positive the whole time. She then sent me to an infectious disease doctor for treatment. Here is the treatment Bactrim Sulfa drug 800 mg twice a day. Also Rifampin 300 mg twice a day. This is actually used for Tuberculosis and bactroban ointment swab inside of nose and outer ear twice a day. A culture was not to be done until three weeks after treatment. It finally came back negative. Just this past week 2013 another infection of mrsa has been found in my same ear. I think it remained dormant behind my eardrum and has now erupted again. I am now taking the sulfa drug bactrim and using ofloxacin drops. I will be seeing a new ENT. I hope she will agree with putting me back on the rifampin. I truly believe this is what worked the last time. My first ent would not listen to me even to do the culture and even though I still had liquid behind my eardrum after my final treatment he would not follow my primary doctors request to get a sample of it to determine if it was mrsa. I believe this is why I have this infection again. If at all cost see an infectious disease doctor for help.

I also been having similar priblem have u gotany other advice

Have sameproblems any advice

Hello I know its been a while and surely I hope by now you've gotten your problem "under control" . I am 25/Female and I was diagnosed with MRSA almost a year ago I had it a little longer but never really knew. Anywho, it has changed my life biiiiggggg time! One of the toughest things to deal with is that the MRSA does not go away, EVER. So knowing I will have this for the rest of my life is pretty depressing :/ Now there is a matter if being active/inactive...... or "having an outbreak" is what we call it (guess that's another topic) Okay back to the issue I have also had some messed up things with my ears such as hearing loss, discharge draining, bleeding and now the lovely EXCRUCIATING pain going down into my gums lately.. BUT I AM NOT SURE IF STAPH OR MRSA IN THE EAR ARE THE SAME THING AS NOT IN THE EAR STAPH/MRSA INFECTIONS BUT I had no idea it could have any thing to do with my MRSA never would I have thought that it did either, (so thanks for posting) Sadly the doctors didnt catch on neither but I also didnt have insurance for years either so I'm sure that's why it wasn't looked into, money talks bullcrap walks :/ I just wanted to reply to let you know the answer for your question, Like I said not sure if in ear and out are the same but I'm pretty sure MRSA is MRSA no matter where its at it flows through your blood & possibly in organs which can be deathly but No, MRSA NEVER goes away once you got it, your stuck with it. Theres a lot of help out there though even in support forums/groups on the internet. There's ways to cope, that you'll need because as you know it ruins lives unfortunately and theres no cure.. Ive had a lot of Keflex(Cephlexin) and BactrimDs to help to help along the way and they do so that I'm not always feeling ill, feverish, flulike basically. & F.y.I I'm totally against all medicine& doctors its just the way I've always been but I realized with MRSA settling in for a while, I then had no choice I was down with flulike symptoms at all times. So maybe you should do some research and either take some suggestions to your doc or just find a new one if haven't already

Do you still have the health problems?

MRSA never goes away. The infections will though.