Hi all. I have a 5 year old daughter. She has a lump under chin, about the size of a marble which I noticed few days ago. At first I did not pay to much attention to it, and I thought it was nothing serious and that it will go on it’s own. But, now, when after several days there was no change, it made me worry. She also suffers from asthma and has been receiving ventolin and fluticasone inhalers for the last 4-5 days. Is this something serious?? Should we take her in to the emergency?

The most common cause of development of a lump in the neck in children is related to an inflammatory swelling of a lymph node which is usually associated with an upper respiratory condition. It is a normal manifestation of the human body's natural defense mechanism. As your daughter has asthma problems too, I’m quite sure that lump is nothing else but a sign that her body is fighting it very hard. Therefore, I think you should not worry too much. When she gets better, I’m sure that it will go away soon afterwards. If it stays there for a longer time (after she has got better) than you might have her looked by a doc. Hope this helps.

i have had the same problem ever since i have had my tonsils taken out things got worse before i had my tonsils taken i had a lump in my neck and my tonsil was swollen and i had fluid in my ear then my tonsils came out and i had my medicine stolen from me and when i called and said that i am having problem with my neck and i wanted medication to prevent an infection they would not give this to me and now i am having ringing in my ear and my throat keeps swelling up to where food gets stuck in it and this was not like this before tonsillectomy i was having a real bad ear infection with fluid behind the ear drum now i am still having the same problem and the place where they came out is swollen and now i feel like i am choking i dont know what to do this is getting to me if and infection got in there and i still have my adenoids i want this removed and taken out because i cannot take the pressure that it is putting on my ear i have to listen to tapes every night to go to sleep oh and one more thing that i did not tell you was that when my tonsils came out my mother kicked me out of her house and my husband would not take me in so i have to sleep outside and my husband would not take me in so now i do believe that an infection did get in there and because my medicine got stolen from me i am having to live in misery because of this and doctors down here in nashville will not help me out at all so i have to leave nashville to get some help. can someone please tell me that if and infection did get in there that part of the tissue can grow back as part of the bodies defense mechanism to try and heal the body but if you are given steroids then and you are allergic to them and then you go to the emergency room and they tell you that this is all in your mind because they dont want to own up to the fact that giving somene a steriod when they are already sick only makes them worse then they dont help only add insult to injury and say that it is all in your mind well that is just BS but when i had my tonsils in they gave me a lot more treatment and better to me . so someone help out
thanks
charlotte