Hello! I am interested if it is possible to get strep throat after a tonsillectomy? My son had a tonsillectomy 6 months ago and yesterday he developed high fever again and a sore throat. Please, any info is welcome!

Hello there! I found information online that children whose tonsils are removed for recurrent throat infections may experience fewer and less severe strep throat infections for at least 2 years. So, this gives a positive answer to your question.

I have had my tonsills out for 10 years and I have been getting strep agian

You CAN get strep after the removal of your tosils!
I urge everyone to be leary of Doctors that dismiss it just because your tonsils are removed. There are other complications that can occur from untreated strep that are dangerous like Rhumatic Fever which can cause heart problems and you will be on antibiotics for the rest of your life! Sure the Doctor will say the chances of getting Rhumatic Fever is around 1% but do you want to be in the 1%? Consider the number of cases of strep! The statistic are not what matters, it's the 1% that matters! The tonsils serve a purpose of intersecting bacteria to help ward off sickness and if they get sick and need removed so be it but I urge anyone that has a sore throat that comes on suddenly and gets progressivly worse throughout the course of 24 hours please do not dismiss it just because you have no tonsils. Go to the Doctor and have a culture done. If your Doctor has to send your culture out and your throat is worse then next day, call them and push them to get the results back ASAP! It's better to be safe than sorry!

Hello, I just wanted to let you know that I personally had my tonsils out when I was a child. I am now 25 years old and currently have strep throat.....

I had my tonsils removed 6 days ago. I now have strep! This is crazy. I'm not even healed from surgery. I thought I couldn't catch it anymore.

i had my tonsils out 4 year ago and have been fine since but recently had a really bad throat and was told by the dr that an ent dr can never remove all of your tonsils and therefore have tonsilitous, i have been in agony , on penicillan and also have a cold

I had my tonsils taken out 34 years and I have strep throat right now for the first time since then. My doctor said yes you can get strep even if your tonsils are out.

my 2 year old had his adenoids and tonsils removed in sept.2008 and has had strep 4 times since and he is NOT a carrier.Imagine that. he has had strep 11 times in 13 months! I clean and throw away everything from cups to toothbrushes. His pediatric dr is as confused as i am.Any suggestions??? I'll take ANY advice..thanks

Hi! This happened to my sister when she was a kid--kept getting strep throat over and over. After testing everyone in the house for being a carrier (and no one was!) my mom thought that maybe it was the dog! She convinced the pediatrician to give our dog a throat culture, and it turned out that he WAS the carrier! They treated him, and my sister stopped getting sick.

At this point, it doesn't hurt to try anything!

My 8 yo son had tonsillectomy a year and a half ago for recurrent tonsillitis. I believe I heard/read somewhere that he can still get strep after tonsillectomy, but that the threat of heart complications from strep are less post-tonsillectomy--please correct me if i'm wrong, anyone....

Hello everyone, I will have to start off by saying, "everyone is different". I had tonsillectomy when I was just seven years of age, I am now twenty-seven. After all these years i will have to admit never had a problem since.

i had my tonsils removed no less than 3 months ago and today i'm going to get checked for strep

ihadmytonsils removed last year....can i still get strep? and i think thats what it is because it feels like a knife in my throat when i swallow

Hey there just wanted to add a side note. I am 30 yrs old. In my first day of tenth grade I had a sore throat. I gad tonsilitcis. Id go on meds and when I was done with the meds id get it all over again. when I got the third or fourth time in a row the dr said when she gets better go see a throat specialist. my mother brought me right to the specialist who made me go in for immediate surgery becuase both tonsils were beyomd infected. Then about 3-4 yrs ago I went to the er 3 times and drs once in four days but,everyone kept telling me I was,fine but noone knows my body better than me so I kept,fighting them tilk another specialist looked at me and said either they didnt take all the tonsils the first time or they actually grew back! Had them removed asap agin! Sorry so long but I hope this might help........