My 4yr old daughter has been suffering a recurrent UTI 4 times in 6 weeks. Had tried 4 types of a/b's with most dulling the infection for a while, with some better than others.

Her urine has come back positive for Pseudomonas Aeruginosa, although she didn't have a full blown infection as she was on a/b's at that time.

We went to a specialist and he has basically said that it isn't bad to have Pseudomonas Aeruginosa in her urine as long as it doesn't cause symptoms. So we are taking a non-medicinal approach to treating it. Basically we are taking all the prevantative steps to not getting an infection in the first place - wiping the right way, cotton undies, acidopholus, cream etc.

I don't have a lot of faith this will work, given we have had so many reoccurences in a short time. After reading about this bacteria, I am not comfortable to just leave it be. Am I justified in feeling like this? Now my husband seems to think it is nothing much as he was with me at the appointment. Is it safe to just let it be? She finished the last lot of a/b's last night (they were the best at keeping it at bay), so I won't be surprised if there is a flare up in a few days.

Thanks

Hey lmsperl,

Pseudomonas aeruginosa is a gram negative bacilli (rod shapped) bacteria it is resistant to many antibiotice. because of this it makes infections very difficult to treat. what i reccomend is having a Culture AND Sensitivity test done on her urin. this will isolate the pseudomonas and then the lab will test numorous different antibiotics on it to determin which antibiotics are the most effective as well as how strong of concentration is needed. Because P. aeruginosa is difficult to destroy it almost always takes a combination of two different antibiotics to fully get rid of the infection.

My guess is that since the other antibiotics helped but never cured the infection that is why it keeps coming back.

Another interesting thing about P. aeruginosa is that it normally only causes infections in people with compromised immune system so does your daughter have any conditions which would cause her immune system to be weak?

finally I would deffinatly keep her on probiotics (pills) to help prevent her from developing yeast infections and upset digestive systems since the anti-biotics will destroy the "good" bacteria as well.

and if she takes vitamin C/ childerens multi-vitamin daily this should help boost her immune system some.

I hope this helps,

Let me know what you think.

thanks 8)

Hey lmsperl,

I hope this helps,

Let me know what you think.

thanks 8)

I realize this is an old post but can you give me an update on how your daughter's infections turned out? My daughter is almost in the same situation. She is three and has recurring UTIs with the same Pseudomonas bacteria. We have tried several antibotics and nothing is working. She had surgery in 2010 to fix a problem but we are still getting infections and they are getting worse. This strand of bacteria scares me and I don't understand why it won't go away. We are starting another round of Cipro tomm. I hate that with the side effects I know it's rare to put kids on it. I'm hopeful to kick it this time.

Hi. I wonder what did you found out? You posted this over a year ago. Is your daghter allright now or still having p.aeruginosa infections? we are in the same position now and I am scared to death ;(

Let me know if someone found a solution. My daughter had a surgery recently and had UTI positive for Pseudomonas Aeruginosa after kidney stent removal. After almost 30 days, I see white/yellow strings/mucous in urine again, worried if it is the same bacteria and if it is resistant to antibiotics now

My daughter has VUR and ended up with a uti and kidney infection from this bacteria last August. We ended up in the hospital for 4 days so that she could get cipro via IV. She has been hospitalized a few times for IVs, so that part didn't scare me. I just wanted to know that we were getting rid of that bacteria! A followup culture 2 weeks later showed no sign of an infection.

Hi we are in the same situation. Daughter had stent removed and three weeks later we had uti with this strain of bacteria and white stringy stuff in urine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Following. My daughter had her stent removed and three weeks later she had the same bacteria and uti. We just started cipro.

What ended up happening? My son has uti with pseudomonas and has been on antibiotics for 5 days now :(

We finished the course of antibiotics and she has been doing fine. It has been over a year and no more UTI. My daughter probably had because of surgery placed stent for 30 days, after removal found pseudomonas A. and treating with Cipro, she did fine. Just need to make sure child takes enough water.

some how and I don't even know how my daughter ended up with pseudomonas urine she's 2.5 years old and an Identical Twin
3 weeks ago fell ill with simple Ecoli urine Infection and then 5 days later she was hospitalised very, very ill with pseudomonas Blood CPA? levels were reading 125
She has just spent almost two weeks in hospital 9 days of which on IV Gent- we are home now but still appears to be very pale and weak! She has spiked small fevers after the sun goes down since coming home. I have been trying to find out recovery time with this Bacteria
Does anyone know because I'm still terrified about all of this!!!