Heeeeyy ok so im getting my adenoids out and im 14. I was hoping that someone would tell there whole experience from anesthesia to recovery detailed. It's ok if you got your tonsils or both out because I dont care they're so similar anyways! just please answer because no one has answered anything on other sites, and the only things i can find is "my 2 year old got his adenoids out!" and stuff like that so i would really appreciate it!!!!

I had my adenoids removed when I was 8 because my mom had a problem believing me when I told her I didn't hear her every time she called for me. I often didn't hear her; I was engrossed in whatever I was doing, being an intense and creative kid.  She brought me to an ear, nose and throat specialist who tested my hearing and agreed with my mom that I had an attitude problem and needed an adenoidectomy. To this day, I'm sure he thought it would be a good idea to teach me a lesson. There was no reason to remove them: I hadn't had any ear infections, tonsilitis or breathing problems.

I don't know if my answer is the best one for you, but I know what I went through - and it's worth something - so I'll share it here.

There wasn't any prep that I remember: they put me under; I woke up with a tube up my nose. I cried when the nurse pulled it out; it felt incredibly gross (think massive blood clot after a bleeding nose) and hurt a lot. The ice cream she gave me afterwards helped soothe the soreness. It healed quickly - about a week or two, if I remember correctly. I ate lots of ice cream and jello.

But here's the thing: I read up on it years later and found out that it's a completely unnecessary operation - essentially an easy buck for the surgeon - a presumptuous violation of a person's body for monetary gain. Sick. To make matters worse, the adrenal glands are part of our bodies for a reason - they're not a mistake or invalid part! They help protect our body by producing antibodies and are specific in location to the respiratory tract.

If you don't have any problems breathing, don't get infections in your ears or tonsils often, if at all, step back from the whole thing and wait until you get a second and third opinion. Get support from caring people who are critical thinkers who don't buy whatever they are sold, even if by a "professional". Educate yourself about your own body, its functions and what it needs to maintain the health it was designed for. Abusers and users - in whatever guise they come in - don't waste one of their heartbeats on you - so don't even give them a chance to charm or intimidate you. Respect and love your self, including your body - it belongs to you and not anyone else.

Thanks for the information. I do have breathing problems (i cant breathe through my nose at all) and i heard that your adenoids practically disappear when you're an adult (unless they're huge like mine) but thanks for the concern!!!!! ^_^

You're most welcome. I'm glad you added more information.

I've had trouble with my sinuses in the past, which ended up blocking my nose completely, too, leading me to have to breathe through my mouth a lot (which then leads to problems with your teeth, my dentist pointed out).

Have you actually seen an X-ray or ultrasound of your adenoids and has your doctor shown you "normal" sized adenoids to compare with your "abnormal" ones? If you're fighting a bacteria or virus, they WILL get bigger - just like your lymph nodes under your jaw on either side of your neck will get tender and swollen a bit when your immune system is fighting off an infection like a cold, sore throat or the flu. Nothing's WRONG with it - it's perfectly RIGHT: your body is working to protect you!

I wonder if you don't really have a problem with your adenoids at all. If you're having issues with your sinuses, too, I bet you're living or working in an environment where the air is not clean and/or your body is under a lot of stress and has been for a while, i.e. it's chronic stress. That's not good, because your immune system can only fight so hard for so long before it's "troops" get depleted and tired. That's when you get really sick with something like bronchitis or pneumonia that can kill off parts of your LUNGS (you only get one set and that's it) and even kill YOU.

So - what did I do? I found out about a supplement called serrapeptase from a functional medicine professional (a movement that began in the USA and is changing the world of medicine for the better, thankfully) and promptly took it. It's a naturally occuring enzyme that is completely safe to use that clears up any and all inflammation in your body (which is a number one destroyer of health and life - think blocked arteries that lead to strokes and heart attacks, plaque in brain tissue which leads to dementia and alzheimers, scar tissue in joints that leads to reduced range of movement and arthritis - and yes, blocked sinuses which leads to terrible headaches and accelerates tooth decay).

It worked beautifully. No side effects. No need to take massive amounts (the lowest daily dose worked for me just fine). Cleared up other things I had just taken for granted were part of "growing older". Brilliant!

Nobody loves you like you: be the best you can be by taking care of yourself! Don't let any swindler steal you - or any part of you - away. You're too valuable! :)

Thanks! I have had a problem with getting pneumonia a lot in the past, and my doctor also said i had a deviated septum so maybe thats it! She said i couldnt have surgery yet because my face is still adjusting beacause im 14, but could my adenoids have caused my septum to do that? What do you think?

I had my tonsils and adenoids removed  - and I am in such a huge pain. Is this real? I mean, I am writing this post and I am about to cry because I can't stand it. My doctor changed a therapy for me more than 3 times, but I still can't feel a sleep because I am in pain. I know that I should take care of myself, I know that this pain won't remain forever, but I just can't help it.  also, I have that edema all over my face and I look silly. I don't know when I will be able to go back to the college.