Hello, folks. A kid from my neighborhood was diagnosed JIA. I know little about this disease, so I would like to know something more. For instance, does JIA have systemic effects? Can anyone answer me this? I would be very grateful if anyone knew the answer. Thank you for replying. Bye!

Hello to you too. Juvenile idiopathic arthritis is an autoimmune disease. It means that immune system in organism is up against its own structures. That is why you can expect systemic effects of JIA. Eye disease is often associated with JIA. This is know as chronic anterior uveitis. Growth impairment is also possible. There is a special form of JIA called systemic JIA or Still's disease. It has beside arthritis, fever and pink rash. It can affect internal organs like serous membranes. It can lead to serositis like pericarditis.