I was diagnosed with this condition when i was 13, though i had bad back pain well before then.I have yet to find someone else with this condition.I have been to A&E before because of it and everytime i tell the doctors and nurses what i have they go "Whats that?".
My doctor said it was a very common condition in teenagers though they dont know the cause.Though it is linked to growth spurts.Since i was 10 ive been 5ft 8, so they think that i grew but my spine didnt quite catch up...Thats the only theory they said that they can think of.
Does anybody else suffer with this disease?I know it can severity can vary.Mine pretty bad at the moment, though i havnt needed an operation.Has anybody else had a rough time with doctors? Severall times people kept trying to tell me that im a hypercondriact(sorry about spelling)and that its not that bad.My husband is vey supportive and tries his best to understand but i think it does get him doen sometimes.I think because its not someting you can seee, people dont take you very seriously.Ive been diagnosed for 4 years now.It gave me depression which keeps coming and going.Does anybody have any suggestions for pain relief?Im quite desperate,Ive been on co-proxomol,co-codamol,ibuprofren,paracetamol,tramadol75mg and diclofenac75mg, both seperate and together, and none seems to tough the pain!i have to practically overdose myself to get any sort of effect.i was on tramadol and diclofenac 3 times aday since i was thirteen up till now and its messed my system up.Im now soon to start epidural treatments.Does anybody know what its like?Im a bit desperate as you can see :-(

Hi There

I am suffering from this as well and for several years nobody would believe I had back pain as they said I was too young (was about 10 at the time) and was finally diagnosed after getting some xrays done. Like you I have trouble finding anybody (inc medical staff) who have heard of this problem. My doctor at the time sent me for physio which didn't really help. Pain relieve is hard to come by and i found that alternating different drugs has helped and as the years go by the pain is more infrequent. I'm currently using voltrol gell and migrain medication (strange but true) as the doc says it has strong pain medication in it as well as a muscle relaxant. It doesn't take the pain away but it does take the edge off. It seems that there is no deffinate answer to the problem (or at least I can't find one) so we just have to try and get on with it. Not very helpfull i know but if you need an ear to listen to feel free to type back any time. Am off to the GP again this week so will post another reply to let you know if he has anything new up his sleeve.
Cheers for now :-D

Hello I was diagnosed with shuermanns disease about 1 week ago I have had back pain since I was about 11 but I always thought that I had poor posture but when it got worse I went to the dr she acted like I was crazy so I went to bone dr and he put me in a brace for 6months and since i have stopped growing i have a 30 percent chance of it working if it doesnt he is going to operate and put medal rods in my back cause my curve is about a 65-68 and it shouldnt be past 40 well I also do get very depressed cause i spend alot of my time in my room on my bed doing nothing cause i cant do anything but i have my Lord to talk to and I feel better about being depressed but my pain doesnt go away and its hard cause I am only 15 and I have things that I like to do but I cant well just wanted to let you know that you are not alone if you ever need a person to talk to that is like you and knows what you are going through you can email me at _[removed]_ it would probably be good for both of us well thanks any way oh my nick name is nutmeg thanks bye

I'm now 46, and was diagnosed at age 11 with Sheuermann's disease. I'm surprised that you nutmeg, have described it as Sheuermann's, because the current prefered name seems to be juvenile disc disorder, though my best findings from searches were using Sheuermann's. I guess I was lucky, as my pain in my teens was minimal, meaning it didn't keep me from much. My 20s brought lumbar pain, and by my early 30's thuracic pain. Now at 46, I'm facing the prospect of having 9 discs fused. They guarantee no reduction of pain. Now the bad part: today, I learned I have chemical gastritis, which means my stomach isn't dealing with the pain pills(was vicodin, but now percoset) ,soma, and 2 others for other probs. The percosets are only 5/325, which is pretty small. I can't imagine this type of surgury and the possibility of no meds! I used to take aspirin like candy, because the doctors wouldn't give me anything for it. That really messed my stomach up. I tried most of the meds others here posted, But they ALL seem to lose effectivness quickly. My doctor prescribed prednesone(steroid) twice, the first was awesome! I felt 20 years younger! However, the second time, almost zilch. Perhaps moving to different meds works for some, but I have a drawer full of stuff that didn't work. Injections: I have had mixed luck with the spinal injections. Never helped in my thoracic at all. My lumbar was better, but spotty. It was an anasteseologist who did it under flouroscopy, and took pictures every time as to needle placement. Sometimes he got it, and others not, or not as well. When he got it, it greatly improved the pain near my tailbone and running down my leg. As I recall, you can only get 4-5 a year. I never had any epideral type lasting pain, so it can't hurt.
I have never had any luck with PT, as I would usually feel beat up by the time I went home, but hamstring stretches and rotational streaches even now help best for me. Other than that, try to keep a regular physical schedual if possible, don't over sleep, lye down when in pain for short naps(on your back!), And do your research. They hadn't heard of Sheuermann's when I went into PT (for the 5th time) so I educated them by printing some stuff off the web. Also, if possible, get an MRI, as they tell much more of what's going on, and the doctors are much more likely to help you. I'm sorry we have to share this, but it could be worse.

hey there , I am 32 and have just reecently found i have the same problems as you.I already unable to work due to arthritis and gout in my hand and feet.I began to get a sore back occasionally with pain lasting btween 10 mins and upto 5 hours sometimes had xray and told of schuemanns disease.i take tramadol 300mg daily and paracetamol for the pain aswell as prednisilone to stop inflamation and als take Somac 20mg daily to stop any problems with my stomach.I have had a positive response from my general doctor and my Rhuematoid arthritis specialist but no solutions just stay on normal pain medication ,i find it easier i guess because i dont have to work and use to being in pain .Hope you get better and this helps you some how . cheers Pete :-P

Hi there,I am 23 now and have sheuermann's disease,they diagnosed it about 7 almost 8years ago by me.Iv been living with the pain and a constant back brace,they said it will be better after 22,it won't go away but will be able to handle it better,but that isn't the case.I'm sitting with constant back pain and I'm a sports person which makes it even harder.They only recommend fisio therapy but that doesn't help,and I'm way too young for the operation.But don't feel alone,u not going through it alone.