Hi! I have some serious disease, but I don’t have diagnosis. My doctor can tell me right diagnosis; because he doesn’t do I have lupus or fibromyalgia. Can anyone tell me what difference between lupus and fibromyalgia is?

Hi! It is critical to distinguish whether an individual is suffering from fibromyalgia, lupus or both, as the treatment approaches are very different. Only a trained rheumatologist can properly differentiate the subtle differences between symptoms of the two conditions. Lupus rashes are persistent. Rashes experienced by fibromyalgia patients rapidly come and go. Protein in the urine, fluid lining the lungs and heart are other features of lupus not present in fibromyalgia. The intensity of pain is usually much greater in fibromyalgia. Sleeping through the night is much more difficult in fibromyalgia. Find some good rheumatologist. When is disease right diagnosed you will have proper treatment.

Well, the symptoms are really common so sometimes you are not able to recognize what is going on. Well, maybe it will sound a little bit silly, but the common similarity between lupus and fibromyalgia is actually - a pain. In both of these diseases, in both of diagnoses, this pain can be exacerbated during flares of the condition. But, with one difference and that is that lupus symptoms show the more visible distinction. I know from my own experience that fibromyalgia pain relief can help in fibromyalgia problem, so don't be scared to seek it from your doctor. You should not suffer the pain. 

I was diagnosed with Ebstien Barr & Chronic Fatique in 94. Lost all short term memory, had insomnia at night/lathargic and drained during the day, along with Candida and sentsitivity to light and heat, lymph nodes in arm pits and neck were swollen. Overall feeling of major fatigue. Got better by 1995 and stayed ok until 2001 after a cycling crash, got sick again, but not all the same symptons... My Doc. took only one of the five tests for Lupus and it came back positive, but mild. He more less disregarded the past diagnoses, didn't believe that it was Ebstien Barr and sent me to the Rheumatologists where he believed it was the beginning stages of Fibromialgia. Yes, my joints, muscles and sometimes my skin hurt, but I didn't have any of the other symptoms this time. I also had a partial hystorechtomy in 1999, but completed it in March, 2004, so there has been no hormones in my body since then. The big question is, I never had any of the rashes Lupus is known for, but had 13 of the 15 symptoms over time. I still don't understand which one, if at all, I actually have and don't feel confident in what the doctors have said. How do we really know?

I was diagnosed with Lupus when I was 12. The symptoms I had most were joint pain, chronic fatigue and sensitivity to the sun. There are blood test that the doctors run in order to know if you have LUPUS. I'm now 27 years old and have never had the Lupus Rash. There is no single set of symptoms that are uniformly specific to lupus. They do check for (ANA) anti-nuclear antibody, and several different types of anemia. At 25, I was also diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. My Lupus had been in remission for years, but I was having pain, fatigue, and insomnia which lead to depression. The pain was different. It was more like muscle aches instead of joint pain and my blood work was fine which was confusing. After taking tons of steroids and medication that was having no affect because it wasn't the Lupus affecting me, I got the right diagnosis. The doctor prescribes the right medication and I am all better. I still get little flares here and there, but nothing that cripples me like before. It's really important to be treated for the right disease.

Hello. I was dx. With Fibromyalgia about six years ago. Then a year later dx. as to having Systemic Lupus. Was treated by three different Rheamatologist in the last five years. Today I went to see a different doctor who did not do any test and said that I did not have Lupus that it was Fibromyalgia. I was glad to hear that but , I am confused and not sure I can trust this doctor. I just want to know for sure.

Im in the same situaion they done all these test sometims they show up positive then neg i hurt so bad endless doctor

:cry: Is there anyone that can help ??? I am awake all night and when I try and walk in the moreing me feet hurt so bad I just cry all my joints in my feet,hands,knees,and lower back hurt 24-7 no pain meds helps
I HAVE A PAIN PUMP implanted for six failed lower back surgeries
I have been in pain for that the last 9 yrs now this pops up about a year and a half ago, sometime I want to give up I live alone 20 miles in the country and have no reason to get up I go for weeks to mounta and
don"t see a living sole gust a few cows and hourses the fatiuge,
depression, and insomnia I feel I will die like this.what to do can anyone help. :cry: Deb.

Hello DSCOLE/Deb you sound very low I know how you feel, have you got anyone who can help you? where are you in the world, does your doctor know how you are feeling? Are you on any medication? you need someone to take care of you, please reply so I know you are ok!!!!
Hi everyone, i've never been on here before so please forgive my ramblings!
I have been i'll for year and a half now and after many many tests, pokes and prods in every orafice, I have been diagnosed with cardiomyopathy, giberts syndrome and the last consultant i've seen a rhumatologist says I've got fibro or lupus(still waiting to be confirmed) When I went back to see my GP he says its fibro. I cannot believe that 18 months ago I was fine and then suddenly over a short period of time Ive got all these conditions. After reading many articles on lupus it mentions gilbert syndrome and cardiomyopathy, so if I put all my conditions together, plus all the usuall symptoms of lupus that I have it tells me Ive got lupus.WHY CANT THE DOCTORS SEE IT AND FINALLY CONFIRM I HAVE SOMETHING!!!! ANYTHING, I JUST NEED TO FINALLY KNOW SO i CAN DO WHAT i CAN TO CONTROL IT AND HOPEFULLY HAVE SOME SORT OF LIFE BACK!!!!!!!!! Does this make any sence to anyone out there? Has anyone else got similar conditions or can tell me anything I would be trully thankful Pen

Hello DSCOLE here is some advice.I also am seeing a rheumy. woke up one morning and could not even pick my comforter up to make the bed.I hurt so bad anyways had blood work done and was given a cortison injection which helped me so much. lasted 3 wks back to same condition was told it is either polymyalfia rheumatica or lupus. have had 2 more cortison injections told that was all I could have.and was given prednisone 15 mg for the 1st wk then go down to 2 next and then 1.Have not started prednisone but have read everything I can online about it.there are alot of bad side effects but it is the only thing that is going to help with swelling of joints pain and be able to live a normal life again.I had so many sleepless nights so I was given lunesta to get some sleep may want to check into that also.this is no laughing matter you hurt so much you feel like you are 100 yrs old.good luck I hope I helped alittle.

I've been dealing with weird symptoms of joint pain, fatigue, swollen joints, body aches and muscle pain for years. One day I have lupus and the next I have Fibro. I think it's just hard to diagnose. Whatever it is, it feels like I have had the flu for 3 years now and it's hard to keep going and keep smiling. Doctors are not infallible, if you aren't getting the answers from one then it's perfectly ok to go to another one. Life is too short to live in misery.

Hi Dscole-I read your post today and was heartbroken. It sounded like my story and I am at a loss too for now. My dillema is that I lost my insurance and can't get Medicare to pay for my ENBREL which is in itself a miracle drug.It takes away the pain and gives freedom of movement and energy.Please try it. My greatest relief is Jesus who is there whenever I feel I can't go on.please get in touch--D

**this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

i have really bad fatigue, joint pain and stiffness and aches like the flu i dont have ins so i dont go to dr very often. i do have a positive RA factor. and have had joint pain for years but now i cant do everyday things anymore.. fingers,wrists, hips, knees,toes my stiffness dont go away while im flaired up when i feel better its all gone for a week or so then right back beats me anyone else like this??

I would think with a positve RA factor you suffer from an auto immune disease such as Lupus, Arthiritis, etc.
I have these same symptoms and was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I do not have a positve RA factor.
I know this type of pain is an awful thing to deal with because I do so myself. One day I don't feel to bad and then I develop an excruciating pain in one spot (muscle pain or arthritis) for several weeks and feel as I if I have to force myself to do anything.
There are lots of new medicines out there that are suppose to help. Try to see a doctor to get a proper diagnosis. There are many new drugs out there. Take them with precaution and do your research on them. Some have teribble side effects. I have tried them all (Cymbalta, Lyrica, Neurotin) and they make me feel worse instead of better.
Let us know what you find out and if anything helps to ease your pain.

SueKang, you've described my wife's life almost to the letter. She was diagnosed at 15 with SLE, and was put on ibuprofen and prednisolone. Over time, these lost their effectiveness, and so plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) was introduced as well. It took her 2 years to wean off the steroids, and after about 3 months of hell on just plaquenil and ibuprofen, she was set on methotrexate. After another 6 months of hell getting used to the side effects (using zofran anti-sickness drugs), it seemed to work.
She then developed trigger-thumb due to inflamation in her hand joints, and had to have the thumb-release operation after years of painful steroid injections. Things stabilised for a couple of years, then at age 23 she was feeling all her old symptoms again, but with doctors constantly telling her her bloods indicated that the lupus was under control. They decided (without testing in any way) that she also had fibromyalgia. He gave her amytriptaline to try and normalise her sleeping patterns, but it gave her such horrific and vivid nightmares that she stopped it almost immediately. She now takes Kalms Sleep tablets religiously. They work a treat, with no side effects.
She has now come off her methotrexate (been off for about 7-8 months now) so that we can start a family soon, at age 25. I don't know what the future will bring with her lupus, but it's one of the most hideous illnesses that anyone can live with, especially when diagnosed young. You know it's something you'll never be rid of, few will understand or even care to try to understand, people judge you for gaining weight or being perceieved as lazy or unwilling to do daily tasks or socialise. I'm not trying to make this sound worse for people, but you will come up against people like this. Make sure your partner or best friend understands you and this illness are one, and that you have no control over it. When people realise the daily battles you have with your own body, they will help you fight them. Being the partner of a lupus sufferer is very hard at times, but no matter how hard it is for anyone to watch or understand from the outside, just imagine how hard it is to feel or cope with from the inside.

You're all immensly strong people, and you have my full support and best wishes in your fights. Believe me though, you'll always win if you believe in yourself and keep on fighting, never give up.