Hi i've been having pain under my right rib cage that either starts late at night and comes on quickly or i'll wake from my sleep in agony. If I nap during the day I never wake up in pain. The pain is like i'm being stabbed but also stitch like. When i'm in pain I find it difficult to take deep breaths, i'm quite gassy and feel constipated although i'm not. The last time I had it (which has been a lot recently) I had nausea and felt dizzy. Hot baths give me some relief and it feels like I need to put pressure on the area although this hurts. Stretching also gives relief for about a second. I usually end up pacing as I can't sit still. The pain usually lasts about 5 hours and then it will quite quickly subside enough so that I can go to sleep. When I wake up again the pain is gone. During the days I feel mildly sore in the area but will never have the stabbing pain. Also, the pain will either start with back ache or will start under my rib cage and then move to my back. Sometimes my whole back hurts, sometimes it's my upper back, sometimes my lower back. It's hard to describe the pain when i'm not feeling it. i went to my doctors who said that he didn't know what it was but that it could be plurisy. I don't think it's plurisy. He gave me some co-codemol but they along with paracetemol and neurofen don't work. What do you think this could be? gallbladder, IBS, muscle spasm?? Is there any kind of relief that might work that could help indicate what this pain is? Thank You!!

I had the same issues and went to the doctor and I found out I have RA, he also said a rib was out of place so he put it back in place.

could be mucus build up in your lungs settling when you lay still can feel like a giant fish hook in your back and side. I used to wake up in extreme pain every 3-4 hours in my lower rib cage and back then, I had a severe astma attack because of too much mucus in my lungs due to the ammount of triggers in my home.

I also have it too what is it it is so painful every one tells me its gas but I don't know I have a lot of the same symtoms you do too

I have this too, although it's on both sides. The pain basically circles my entire rib cage and mid-back roughly in the bra-strap area. No, I don't wear a bra at night, & during the day I wear really minimalist bras. The pain comes on during the night and wakes me, and it goes away within a few hours in the morning. It feels really stiff and it's very hard to breathe, and stretching and massaging feels good but hurts...like it's working out the stiffness. This started when I was pregnant, but I had my baby 9 months ago & it's still going. It doesn't happen as bad every night, but in clusters, like excruciating every night for a month or so, then it will not be so severe for the next few weeks, but the pain is always there, even if it's just a 2/10 pain, by morning. I think it may have some correlation to eating close to bedtime, especially if I eat starchy or sweet things, and sometimes (but not always) gassiness. It never happens during the day if I nap, but perhaps this is because I never nap for as long as I sleep at night. It usually takes like 3-4 hours to wake me up. Pain medicine doesn't help, either taken at bedtime or after the pain begins. I've tried Tylenol, Ibuprofen, and Percocet. I've been seeing a doctor about this for 6 months and I've had all sorts of tests for RA and other stuff but she hasn't found anything. She doesn't seem to care much either; once she got a bunch of normal blood test results back she started acting like there must be nothing wrong with me except that I'm crazy. Oh, I've noticed a flare in my psoriasis and Ménière's disease (both are autoimmune diseases), and also right heel pain whenever I lay down, day or night, whenever the ribcage/mid-back pain worsens. I wonder if this has something to do with my small intestine, since that is deep below where the pain is. But the pain is like bone, cartilage, etc pain. It stinks having a problem your medical provider doesn't understand.

I have the EXACT same thing and the lack of sleep is killing me. Ultrasound and hydrascan negative. Did you figure it out??

I have had this too, only a few weeks. I often wake up feeling like I was sleeping "wrong", and my entire rib cage area was tight. It is excruciating to roll over to a different position, but I can't stand to lay where I am. Also comes with leg cramps, it is hard to take a deep breath, and pretty scary. I have not asked a dr, but it was mentioned that it could be a magnesium deficiency. I know my eating habits have gotten pretty crappy over the last year due to stress and depression. I am going to up my Mg intake for a few months and work on eating better to see if it affects it any.

Yes--I figured it out!!! Mine is psoriatic arthritis. I have been able to minimize the pain with a few weird things. First, avoiding foods high in histamine (fermented foods and pork, for me...but I also eat AIP, which is autoimmune paleo); second, taking quercetin 3 times a day with meals; and third, taking serrapeptase 10mg twice daily on an empty stomach. I am about to start low-dose naltrexone tonight, actually, because I want to stop it completely. Psoriatic arthritis leads to deformities and spinal fusion, so if I feel any pain at all, that's a sign to me that I'm headed for disability. That thought is worse than the pain itself! I'm super hopeful, though, about LDN because I've read lots about how helpful it is for all sorts of autoimmune issues.

Hi, I just experienced this over the last month. Not every night, but now and then and more often lately. I awake at night and cannot move because the pain is so intense. I was diagnosed with psoriasis over 20 yrs ago. I am currently 44. The areas affected are limited to my knees and elbows and have been taking protandim by lifevantage for the past 3 years which have really helped with the inflammation. Now, after reading your symptoms and knowing you also have psoriasis I think that might be my diagnosis as well. Did your doctor diagnosis it? How did your doctor diagnosis this? When it happens (which is not regularly yet) it has become more intense.

My rheatologist diagnosed it. The diagnostic information is actually pretty hard to find, unless you are a prescribing health professional. Helpful hallmarks of psoriatic arthritis are sciatica-type pains in buttocks especially if alternating sides, and pain in rib cage, heels, and/or spine after periods of inactivity. Also a common hallmark is "sausage fingers" (which I happily do not have), and it's common to have the various joint pains present in all autoimmune arthritis conditions, which may or may not affect the joints bilaterally.
I am still taking the LDN and so far it is causing my diseases to flare, which is expected in the first 3-6 months, and is actually a sign that it is working to improve the immune system. I suggest you look into LDN because unlike every single other medicine for autoimmunity, it has no serious negative side effects. It is really good for your mood too! Hey, good luck :)

I figured out a couple more pieces that will definitely help anyone who finds this thread. What I have, psoriatic arthritis, is basically the same thing as ankylosing spondylitis, except that psoriatic arthritis is associated with psoriasis. Both can be associated with disorders of the eye, like uveitis and iritis, and heart problems. This is all autoimmune. Anyway, there's a whole community of folks our there with ankylosing spondylitis (AS) who control their disease by eating a low-starch diet. I tried it and it REALLY works. I saw results in like 4 days. I still have to avoid fermented foods, but lots of AS sufferers can eat fermented food. Apparently AS (and like psoriatic arthritis) is associated with a bacterial infection in the digestive tract, but antibiotics would only control it if you stayed on them forever--not a good idea. The LDN hasn't seemed to help me much, though, if at all. Anyway, it's very difficult to get AS or PA (psoriatic arthritis) diagnosed unless you figure it out for yourself and then talk to your medical provider about it. If you have these symptoms, try the low-starch or no-starch diet because it not only helps symptoms but prevents crippling and deformity. I also avoid nightshades completely and all the other things on AIP, but I'm going to start reintroducing things soon. And the other things I mentioned in my earlier post are still things I stand by.

I experience many of these same symptoms. For me I can feel it coming with mild abdominal pain and the belching during the day. The stabbing pain usually sets in by night and I've found little to prevent or help the pain. Sometimes the fetal position helps for a bit but for me, if I can just find a way to sleep, it's gone in the morning, with only slight soreness left. These events only occur every 3-6 months or so. I've been through all sorts of tests and the only conclusion has been a hiatal hernia. I take omeprazole daily but the pain still pops up from time to time. It's usually about 10 hours of torture and then gone. I guess I question whether its the hernia or not. Any ideas?

omg! I have this same thing to every word. Started when I was pregnant and still continuing. Did you get the diagnosis? Would be great to know if it got better!

I have the exact same problem with the excruciating pain under my right rib cage at night. When it first started about a year or two ago it came frequently and was definitely related to fat and sugar intake. Then it just disappeared. I could eat sugar late at night with no issues. But now it shows up every few months or so for a night of misery.
I can't imagine it being related to AS or psoriasis or something like this for me because I have no other symptoms at all.
I think it's mainly food related and how much stress my body is already under otherwise, but it's somehow nice to know that others are in the same boat! Still hoping to find an exact answer.

Original poster here. Turned out it was gallstones and I had my gallbladder removed. Hope you have a diagnoses and are no longer in pain :)