i am doing a project for science research on the effects of scoliosis surgery. i would like to know if anyone who has had this surgery, or knows someone who had it, has experienced serious side effects from the stress of the surgery or the long recovery. Such as cancer, or any disease or discomfort to the body.
please tell me if anyone you know, or if you yourself have experienced serious side effects from scoliosis surgery. it will greatly help me to step forward with my research.

-lauren

i had my surgery when i was 15 years old im 24 now and all the pressure of have no spring in my back nemore has destroyed my shins, my shoulders, and the left side of my rib cage...i had two rods set in my back july 11th of 98, the shame of this is i cant even collect disability cause i am active?

P.S. i had my surgery at the shriners in oakpark, by now retired doctor libicky

I had the Herrington rod surgery to correct my 90 degree curvature when I was 11. I am now 26 and suffer from chronic shoulder, lower back, and neck pain. I was never sent for physical therapy after the surgery, and never explained the toll that damaging my muscles from the surgery would cause. I mainly have pain in my right shoulder, where the major hump is [made from my ribcage and shoulder blade being deformed]. I wear girdles over bras, or sports bras over my bra to make sure no one sees the uneven fat deposits, as my hips are also out of alignment. Nothing much is knowns about hte side effects. I also have foot problems from walking on my toes for so long; hammer toes, plantar ficitis, and wear orthotics

When I was 11 I had a spinal fusion surgery and had two titanium rods placed on my spine. 4 vertebrae had to be removed to acheive this. I had two curvetures, one 30 degrees and one 65 degrees. They had to cut me open from the front to reach my spine as well as my back. I have abnormal scar tissue around my intestines and stomach that are causing me a lot of problems. I'm not even sure if i'll be able to have children in the future because This is also causing menstruation problems, hormone problems and ovarian cysts.

Hi.
I had Surgery for Scoliosis when I was 18 years old. I had two Titanium Rods and 20 something screws stretching from between my shoulder blades to my lower back. My recovery seemed to go well and I got most of my strength back.

1 and a bit years later, still being careful not to overdo anything, I was at work and sneezed. The pain was aweful! I went to the Emergency Room and they took x-rays to find out I had BROKEN on of my titanium rods.

On the 2 year mark of my first surgery, I had to go in to have it replaced... with a larger one. They tell me they havn't heard of this happening, I was wondering if there are any others out there with similar circumstances. I read about Screws breaking but has anyone had a rod break? I'm now 20 years old, I hope to not live a sheltered ever so cautious life, but its looking that way.

Hi. I had my surgery done a little over two years ago and was fused posteriorly from T5 to L3 with two rods and 15 screws. The surgery went well and I'm pleased with the correction they got from it, but I have been in pain consistently since the surgery. The pain isn't so bad where it prevents me from doing a lot of things, but it certainly interferes with my day and is really frustrating. Especially since I am only 18 years old and NONE of my friends can relate at all to having back pain in general. Considering I really didn't have pain before surgery, it almost makes me regret going through the surgery even though I guess I needed it (my curve was approaching 60 degrees and it was a single curve, so my body was way out of balance). But I really don't know what to do about the pain, because it doesn't seem like it's just going to disappear on its own. And when I told my surgeon about it, he just said to stretch more. Makes me wonder if it's just going to get much, much worse as I age.

I had a posterior spinal fusion from T4 to L4 in 1998...Like all of you above, I have had CONSTANT pain since. Shoulders, low back and neck...The only things that seem to diminish the pain are massage and acupuncture- but for them to be effective, I must go every week.
The scoliosis and subsequent surgery for correction cost me inches in height, my career as a professional ballet dancer and many sick days off work. And like you, I am unable to claim any sort of disability as I am active.
I have had three children and the pain in my low back was unbearable on some days during the pregnancy. Saunas and hot tubs are a no-go because the heat transfer from the rods causes more scar tissue to build up.
To the eighteen year old who replied above- I feel your pain. I went through a major depression after I had my surgery as a result of feeling I had no-one to talk to. I hope you are able to get through this tough time...Try to keep in mind that even thought it may not seem like it, the doctors were doing what they felt was the best thing and blame will not heal you.
My thoughts and prayers are with you all

I just had my surgery a little over three months ago and everyting has gone great Im back full time to competitive swimming and can do all the strokes.The only problem i am having is Im losing a lot of hair from my head. Has anyone else had this happen?

For the question about the hair. Its probably dropping due to the medication and antibiotic and the anesthitics they gave you prior and after the surgery.

I had cut my hair because it was dropping in lumps.... after a while it stopped dropping ,I also cut back on the medication.

My effects of the surgery was very successfull,I felt much better about myself I had more self-confident,I couldv'e wear anything I wanted to and it looked good on me. Due to the scolosis, my left breast shows bigger than my right side, but I have been told that it is usual for girls to have slightly bigger breast than the other. Its a easy cover up,use a padded bra or implants or just not care. If your partner  truly loves you ,he/she wouldn't mind. I use to have breathing problems prior to my surgery and get tired very often.

The side effects of the surgery,I know when its going to rain or when a bad storm is coming.

Hi, I had my last scoliosis surgery in 95(i was close to 13 then now just turned 29 I had 2 harrington rods put in and a posterior spinal fusion done, I guess I would consider myself somewhat rare since I am a male and this is mostly found in women. I have never had any real side effects from any of my surgeries or any real aspects of pain, I am able to do what I pretty much want and workout 5 days a week with heavy weight lifting(I do squat exercises, and heavy weighted back exercises along with some low back ones as well) along with cardio and have not had any issues. I am just not able to do major physical sports such as football, hockey,etc. but can do anything else really. Limited flexibility causes me not to be able to touch my toes when i bend over, but other than that no real complaints if it helps I had my surgeries performed at akron childrens hospital by now retired dr. daniel bethem

I had rods and fusion done in 1985 and am now waiting for my trial date for permenet disibiility.   I am going to a neurologist since my regular dr js at a loss of what to do with me.   I have constant lower back pain and spasms, I am using a wheelchair to get around, any long walking sends me into muscle spasms that at so bad I am reduced to tears.  I have sciatic pain going down my left leg and suffer from headaches.  

I had my surgery when I was 12, June 1993, when the Milwaukee brace I wore (completely embarrassing n was a cause for a  lot of teasing) stopped working for me. I went from a 44 degree angle to an 80 degree.. I get chronic lower back spasms which come and go depending. If I walk long periods of time I can really feel the effects in my lower back, same if I lay down too long or sit too long. My back gets stiff too. The middle of my back *around my bar line* is very sensitive to touch, I can feel pressure and have some sensation but its almost numb-like. I get pain in my shoulder blades too, generally my right one. Regardless of any pain I have, getting the surgery was the best thing that happened because it saved my life. Because of my growth spurt (by age 12 I was5'7) and the scoliosis (which may be connected.) my spine quickly curved, my doctor told me it was either surgery or be dead or in a wheelchair at the age of 30. I am 31 years old now and I gotta say, regardless of scoliosis or my dysautonomia *which also could be connected* I am happy that I am alive and able to move and able to raise my 6 year old daughter! :)

we have the same problem i do the same thing to hide the fat

Hi I'm from Canada. Had two harrington rods but in my back when I was 13 in 1984.At Sick Kids in Toronto.On.Was in great shape and problem free untill I had a Baby at age 30yrs. Now in my 40s with an upper rod broken, Seen many DR. and no one wants to figur things out and fix the problem! So I live daily with pain . headaches, pain in hips that runs downs my legs; and my arms. I have to work for lving but it's not easy!(thankfully I run my own bussniess and take time off if need be!!)   In the winter months there are days I hurt so bad that in and out of bed I can't do on my own. To any one with scliossis, read up and learn all you can before risking surgery. mainly what the effects are 10 or 20 yrs down the road. and never give up finding the right anwers for you. God bless. Berna

Should I take surgery cause Im 11 and had one 43 degree and 48degree I don't feel anything until a dc told me now I am really scared