Every month during/just before menstruatin I get a painfull ,red right eye. i have had this for the past 2 years. I need to know why and how i can prevent it.It is real painfull and stressful. Thanks

Hi! Wow, that is a strange phenomenon! I mean, I am no expert but I heard stories about different menstrual problems but this is strange. What have you been doing for two years with this disorder? In my opinion, it may be PMS or menstruation that is worsening an underlying conditions, it is usually the allergies but it could be the same thing with eye problems. Are you maybe using any special medications during PMS or your periods? Medications can also trigger different unwanted reactions. I also believe that only a doc can tell you what this is. You could go straight to a GP, or an ophthalmologist or maybe even a gynecologist and they can direct you to a proper expert.

Best of luck
Simone

I get the exact same thing, has been going on for about 2 yrs. I am over 40 and do not take any pms meds. But before my period I get redness in my right eye (inside corner by my nose) that doesn't seem to respond to ANY over the counter eye drops.

I also suffer from this problem and the only medical article is by a doctor from 1961, saying that taking oestrogen can stop it within 24 hours.

Is there any cure? What do you laddies do to handle that? That doctor wrote that article in 1961, isn't there any modern scientific solution for that? Please help!

I have had the samething, and it was told to me that it was like a cold sore that gets stressed out when my body stresses. So the doctor prescribed anti-herp medication, and I start taking it two weeks prior to my period and it has calmed it down... I am not sure if that is the correct diagnosis

I have the same problem... let me know if you find an answer!

It's called epscleritiis, I've had if for years! Tends to flair up with hormone changes and unfortunately eye drops don't help!

I have been experiencing the same thing in both of my eyes the week before my cycle. It has been going on for 2years off&on. I'm 36 and I have several painful symptoms before my cycle and during but this is the only one I can't cure. Please help!

Hi! wow I thought I was just d' only person who is experiencing this kind of I don't know what to call it if its a disease or symptoms of what I really don't have any idea about it but I'm suffering from this for almost 8yrs. I've consulted two ophthalmologist's before and they don't give me any findings or what, they just recommend eye drops so it will easily disappear whenever my eye gets red and really painful at d' same time. I still rem. when I was in college I kept on crying coz of so much pain I felt ,then my mom tries to massage both side of my head coz I almost scream everytime my eyes gets red. Actually I was bullied by some of my classmates before coz they ask me whats the reason why my eyes turns into color red every month then i told them that B4 or during my menstruation my eye turns to color red. so every time they see my eyes is red then they will ask me so ur on red tide today? or they will ask me those ur eyes is the one who is having menstruation and not u? then laugh at me. isn't it awful? :( until now im suffering from this kind of situation every month. but I have eye drops TOBRAMYCIN DEXAMETHASONE.

Even I am suffering from the same problem for last 2 years...Someone please help.

Hello Fellow eye soreness sufferers...it is with a red sore eye that I have stumbled across this blog site. I have been suffering with this "scleritis" or "iritis" or auto immune reaction...(no one seems to know what it is or what to do about it) since 2006. Recently, I had such a severe blinding pain that I sought consultation with a specialist at the Ivey Eye institute in London Ontario Canada. She sent me for many blood tests, all of which came back negative , thankfully. I was have been told to take 600mg of anti-inflammatory medication 3 times a day for the week and also I have been prescribed steroidal drops to help with the swelling. However prolonged use of such drugs for the eye can lead to glaucoma or early cataracts. I have now been suffering from a consistent cycle of this eye redness and pain for about a year now with very few months where I do not have a twinge of pain or that thundering headache that feels like someone is pushing my brain out through the side of my head. I have just been talking to someone who has been suffering from the same thing since her early 20's and in her 50's it became so frequent and debilitating that she started to record and discover that it was tied to her menstral cycle. Her menstral cramping and flow was erratic and very painful so it was suggested that she go in for an Endometrial ablation. She has not suffered from a sore eye now for approximately a year. I too have been suffering from extreme cramping, not every month, but it has been unusually painful and when I do get my menstral period my eye seems to "flare up" before, during or soon after my menstral cycle or I can keep it at bay sometimes by popping the anti-inflammatories. Hard on the liver though, it seems to be the only solution to a painful recurring problem. I cannot believe that with the amount of women that seem to suffer from this condition that there is not a name or research that is looking into this obviously common and most annoying and painful condition. 

Hi all,

I suffer every month and have done for about two years now, Have not gone to Gp as they moan for wasting their time.  But I really suffer during 7 days period.  I suffer from really burning eyes which stream constantly (like hayfever symptoms).  It stops me driving!! More recently I have started to have visual problems (visual watery affect) and I struggle to see, which can last for 20 mins, followed by a thudding head. (Never had migraines but it might be?).  Really affects my life and functioning. 

It is definately linked to my hormones as the other three weeks I am fine.

Any suggestions?  I have tried every eye drop out there and none work.

Hi, I am exactly the same. Ive spent years trying to work out what the problem is. one or both eyes constantly stream with a runny nose. This is then followed with a pounding headache and tiredness from such painfully sore eyes. my eye sight too becomes very blurred. It is roughly around a week before my period as i get older ive also noticed that my skin also gets very dry. Therefore it must be linked to hormones. i would really appreciate it if anyone could please help with advice 

Hi, so glad i found this post.  I woke up yesterday morning with  a red painful eye and today i started my menstral cycle.  I had a terrible headache for the past week and was starting to worry a bit, so happy to have found all you ladies with the same problem.  could anyone advise me how long their eye normally stays red pls?? thanks xx