Hi out there,

I was just diagnosed with a lisfranc injury (grade 3 sprain) in the last 48 hours. The injury occurred, if you can believe it, 19 years ago. For all this time, it seems I've had far too much movement in the joint because I was missing a ligament, which snapped when I fell in ballet class back in 1992. I dealt with severe pain, casts, x rays, a TENS unit, various doctors, etc., for several years there, and eventually, when I started becoming more active, it "went away." The pain returned in various forms over the last ~2 years. I've seen a podiatrist and orthopedic surgeon where I live (New York), and they gave me no definitive answers (the podiatrist, who took a weight-bearing X ray, said it was "suspicious" for old Lisfranc injury, but told me I wasn't in enough pain for it to be a Lisfranc injury that returned; the orthopedic surgeon said I had sesamoiditis, that there was nothing else wrong and I needed arch support, so I got some half-length orthotics that haven't done much good).

After six months without seeing a doctor, I felt like it was time to get another opinion. I've now seen two people (a top-notch physical therapist and an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in foot/ankle work), and both immediately diagnosed a Lisfranc sprain and said surgery to insert a plate and screws was my best bet for stabilizing my midfoot.

I have to tell you, this feels like quite a journey--it's been almost two decades!--and this is the first time I have actually gotten an answer. All those years, I was in severe pain and no one knew why. It turns out that all the doctors had to do was take weight-bearing X ray, which happened 17 years after the initial injury . . .

Anyway, the big question is: Do I have the surgery? My gut says yes, this will fix the problem and help me live a life with less pain, and that I'd like to do it sooner rather than later (I am getting married in 5.5 months, so I want to be back on my feet for the wedding!). However, as a yogi and believer in doing things in the least invasive, and most natural way possible, I feel some trepidation about taking such a big step, and I worry about the recovery after surgery being a major cause of stress, as well as the possibility that things won't go smoothly. I've never had surgery before (unless you count a tonsillectomy!), so this is all very new to me.

I'd love to hear others' thoughts on this matter. Thank you in advance for your support--it's really changing my life to have a diagnosis, and to know that others have been through the same thing.

Franduke

Hi! This is really incredible. 19 year ago... I can only imagine how complicated this surgery would be. You should do it if a surgeon can guarantee you that the pain will go away. Here you can read some similar stories that may help you https://www.steadyhealth.com/4_Months_and_4_screws_later_for_lisfranc_surgery_t141815.html Good luck.

Hi franduke,
 I have so many connections to your post! I have had a similar experience with a lisfranc injury. I am 27 years old and have recently been diagnosed with an old lisfranc injury. It has been a long process to get a diagnosis. I ran a marathon in September and was having pain in my foot. After MRIs, x-rays, a nerve conduction test, and a CT (and seven months later) that seems to be the root of the pain. The doctor was baffled that it appeared to be such because of the same reason that you mentioned: I wasn't in enough pain and I couldn't remember a certain incident of trauma. As a former collegiate soccer player, I've sprained my ankle more times than I can remember, so I'm assuming one of those times was more than a sprained ankle. Like you, I was able to be active after though. I continued to play soccer, and run daily. Mine is between my first and second metatarsals, but there is an extra piece of bone there as well (a result of the fracture never being addressed). After much thought, I've decided to have the surgery. They will need to remove that extra piece of bone and fuse those two bones together with screws. I've been trying not to read much online, but I'm so curious. It seems that every lisfranc injury is different, so it's hard to know what recovery is going to be like. My surgery is scheduled for May 27th. It seems like recovery is going to be a long road (and a mental battle because I am such an active person), but I feel that I should do it if it's the only chance of getting rid of this pain. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Oh, Runteach, do we have a connection!  I am now four weeks out from the surgery, and I am SO glad I did it.  I can feel my foot getting stronger every day, and I know that I am getting closer to having no pain at all.  It is such a huge relief to know that the problem has been diagnosed AND fixed.  I have a wonderful surgeon, as well as the guidance of an exceptional physical therapist, two yoga instructors, a massage therapist, an energy healer, and a huge network of family and friends cheering me on through this process.  I KNOW you will get better. 

Please keep me updated on your progress.  This isn't easy, but we are right to advocate for ourselves and listen to our bodies.  You will be running again soon!

What great news! It is really encouraging to hear such positive feedback about the surgery. Most of the posts are so depressing. I'm glad to hear that you are progressing well and noticing an improvement--that's GREAT! I will keep you updated on my progress. It's nice to have support from others who are going through the same thing!

I was in a car accident 27 yrs ago and broke two bones in my right foot.  My foot was set in a cast for 6 wks. and never did the orthopedic doctor tell me that it was a Lisfranc fracture. Nothing was done after the cast was removed.  I have had lots of problems in the past few years and about a year ago can barely walk.  I recently found out by a podiatrist that my pain is from a previous Lisfranc fracture and quite possibly dislocation with evidence of significant degenerative joint disease involving the torsal metatarsal joint regions.  I recently have gone back to have injections, in which doctor said he could only give three.  Now today he fitted for special orthotics, he said if that didn't help, he would recommend surgery in which he would have to break the bone and do repair.   My foot has deformed and has not healed properly.  I understand the procedure is of extensive nature and am wondering if it would be worth having the surgery.  I  stay on my feet all the time, walk every day, but its becoming more and more difficult.  I walk with a limp, bare weight on my heel, and it aches all the time.  Is there anyone that has had this to happen as a very old injury left untreated, and if anyone has had surgery after an extended injury, please let me know of the outcome. 

Oh Kathy, I feel for you! It will be a year next week since I had the surgery, and it has changed my life. Although I am not yet at 100% (still some swelling and soreness at times, mostly when it rains or I push it with unsupportive shoes), I am no longer in daily pain and finally feel like this long-term problem is solved.

Feel free to let me know how else I can help! I wish the very best, including pain-free days, for you!

Francie

I see that this an old posting and was wondering if you had surgery. I had a misdiagnosed Lisfranc Fracture 38 years ago. I have been told all these years there was nothing that could be done. My foot now is deformed with severe arthritis. It only will get worse - trust me. I am almost unable to walk. Recently I found, for the first time, a doctor that's willing to try to fix it. If you haven't had the surgery I would recommend you do. It will disable you in another 10-20 years like me. I am going to have surgery as the pain is so bad. Good Luck!

Annie, thank you! I had the surgery almost 1.5 years ago. I'm so glad it was able to be fixed. I wish you some relief--stat!

How is your injury? I suffered a lisfranc injury about 15 years ago which was also misdiagnosed since I also broke two metatarsal bones. Ran into the doc a month later at a golf tourney and he told me I did more than break bones. 15 years later it still bothers me. I never had surgery but am thinking about it now. Thoughts?

It's not perfect--I get sore when I walk too much or wear shoes that don't have much support--but it's SO much better than before the surgery.  And when I'm good--soaking my foot, massaging it, wearing tennis shoes for long walks, practicing yoga regularly, etc.--it feels pretty darn good.

Francie,

Just received an email pertaining to this post, after 6 posting this 6 mos ago! I have not had the surgery. my ins. did not cover the orthotics, so I've been dealing with it. My last injection helped several months, and now is beginning to bother me more. When I go walking, my foot in the beginning can feel OK then all of a sudden, I will have this sharp pain and squeezing sensation in my forefoot. I don't want to think of being disabled from this injury. Thank you for your reply!

Kathy

This sounds like my circumstance. I was told after some 28 yrs that my foot is deformed with severe arthritis also. I can no longer put weight down on my forefoot. I have to wear supporting tennis shoes but even then when I walk, my foot will began to cramp. If I ever did have surgery, it would have to be a doctor that is highly recommended and in the Tricare network, we are retired military.

When I injured my foot, the feeling was incredible. I could actually feel my toes on the ground while everything else rolled. Almost in slow motion. After about a minute or two of rolling around in excruciating pain, all I wanted to do was take my shoe off to make sure my foot was not in two separate pieces. Anyhow, I now have a lump on the top of my foot and it always has this dull ache. I never even knew you could dislocate your foot. Thanks for your thoughts. I imagine I too will run into insurance issues after this many years.

I'm responding to this post after receiving an email. I'd like to share that I did have the surgery and am SO glad that I did. I am back to running again! It took a year to feel back to normal, but my experience with the surgery was very positive!