Hello! I am a person who has a question. This is probably a good place to do so. I want to ask something about behcet's disease. In that way I need to be informed about possible treatment. What is that you recommends as efficient method? Probably there is something I don’t know. Thanks for your advice or sense.

Hi! As I see you need information. I will try to answer to your question with my experience. You want to know about behcet's treatment. The flow of behest does inclose azathioprine, cyclosporine, cyclophosphamide, and chlorambucil. Beside organ or life threatening disorder, the junction of prednisone and either cyclophosphamide or chlorambucil.

Behcet's disease is a type of vasculitis (inflammation of blood vessels) that presents with aphthous ulcers (canker sores) genital lesions and recurrent eye inflammation.  The inflammation of the blood vessels can involve any size, location and type of blood vessels anywhere in the body.  Behcet's disease has a genetic association with the gene HLA–B51, which is a risk factor for this disease.

Please see your dermatologist for a more definitive diagnosis and treatment plan.

Treatment depends on the extent and severity of the disease.  If the disease involves primarily skin and mucous membranes, it may even be managed with topical medications like steroid creams or oral agents such as colchicine.

During disease flares, systemic steroid medications like prednisone may be required.

For severe disease, immunosuppressive agents like cyclosporin, azathioprine, chlorambusil, or cyclophosphamide may be needed.  Thalidomide has been used to improve this disease.  Thalidomide does have side effects, such as severe birth defects (therefore cannot be given to pregnant women) and peripheral neuropathy after prolonged use.

Disclaimer: Dr. Emily Altman and Advanced Skin Wisdom provides the content on this website solely for informational and educational purposes. Information provided on this website should not be considered medical advice and is not a substitute for consultation with a qualified medical professional. Communications to or from Dr. Altman and Advanced Skin Wisdom and any person will not be considered to establish a patient/doctor relationship.