I was diagnosed with depression two years ago, and my first anti depressant was Zoloft, but after it didn’t really do much for me, my psych switched me to fluoxetine (generic Prozac). At first it seemed it helped, but then I started gaining weight and not being able to sleep without lorazepam, so now my psychiatrist is suggesting I switch the medications again, this time to venlafaxine (Effexor).

I know it takes time for any antidepressant to kick in, so I was wondering can I take venlafaxine and fluoxetine together for a while, until Effexor kicks in?

you should definitely discuss this issue with your doctor, but I don't think there will be any need for you to continue taking fluoxetine once you start Effexor. I'm saying this in part because it might be too much for your brain chemistry to mix these two anti-depressants, but also because every medication has half life and elimination time which basically means that some fluoxetine will still stay in your body even after you stop taking it. That alone might be enough to keep your progress in fighting depression until Effexor kicks in.