After years of antidepressants that have had no effect, the psychiatrist is trying this cocktail. My husband has gained 50 pounds and is still unable to get through a full day without some horizontal time. He expresses feeling hollow and empty inside. His greatest wish is to end all this as no one has ever come close to getting him out of the dark pit where he lives. What will all these drugs do to his liver? Whenever he has been on any med. without affect--the answer is to increase the dose 3, 4, 5 times until my husband finally just says forget it. What is this doing to the "normal" function of his brain? Is there really a point to all of this?

Hi! I can’t give you a proper answer to your question but I could relate to the situation. My aunt has been suffering from severe depression for around 7 years now. She has been on hundreds of drugs and hundreds of dosages and none of it really helped to bring her back to normal life. At one point, she was in such bad state that we accepted doctor’s suggestion for electroshocks. We accepted and it actually made things worse. She forgot most of the things from these shocks and we saw no improvement.

She hasn’t changed her therapy for two years now because she doesn’t go to doctors any more and I don’t think that the drugs are working anymore at all but she keeps taking them.
It seems to me that her mind is becoming more and more blank and another thing that I don’t like is the smell from her skin and body. It is not a hygiene bad smell because she does maintain a good level of hygiene and wears clean cloths, but I think it is from the drugs that are maybe not being metabolized all the way or too much drugs for a prolonged time.

I know how hard it may be for you when your partner is feeling that way, when you can’t have a normal social or any life due to their illness and you can’t blame them because it is a physical disorder (lack of proper neurotransmitters in the brain) and I guess only your support may help a lot but sometimes not even that because people who are very depressed feel and see only themselves and maybe the closest family-partner and children.

What you wrote reminded me my sister who had very similar problem. Her manic episodes started occuring when she was at the age of 17. She changed several therapies, and always was looking for second medical opinion because nothing worked for her. She suffered bad side effects caused by number of medications, she was drowsy and depressed all the time and side effects caused by one medication needed to be cured by another one or more. She was on lithium for 6 years, on carbamazepine and at last on lamictal and prozac. Then I have read an article about national centre for homeopathy and decided to take her there and try that option. That has showed as very successful. Homoeopathists treat the patient and not the disease and each person gets the unique remedy that was prepared according to his general health condition, which means that full history of physical and emotional symptoms was taken. Homeopathic remedies stimulate body’s own healing and are absolutely free of side effects. I know that this may be hard for you to believe in, but my sister is living proof that it really works and the improvement is really remarkable. Homeopathic remedies differ from both conventional and herbal remedies because they have no interactions. I can say that my sister is now free of symptoms like paranoia, suicidal and masochistic thoughts, and severe depression. She is now on aurum met and ignatia instead on fluoxetine and lamictale. I also took Bach flower drops for myself, they stimulates good mood and also work specifically only in person that were made for. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed and I suggest you with all my heart to try this way of natural curing. Please post if you have more questions about this. Hope that helped.