I’ve been diagnosed with interstitial cystitis three years ago and for the last two years I’ve been on Elavil and Elmiron to help with the constant bladder pain. At the same time, just several months later, I was diagnosed with depression as well, but when my psychiatrist saw that I’m already on Elavil and Elmiron, he didn’t prescribe me any anti depressants since, in his words - I’m already taking one.

The thing is, I’m feeling worse and worse and I don’t think these antidepressants are working. Is it just me, or are they not as effective generally?

only one of the medications you're taking - Elavil, is an antidepressant. Elavil is older generation antidepressant and even though research shows it's as effective as newer antidepressants such as Zoloft or Prozac, it causes far more, and far worse side effects in dose that's needed for it to be used for effective treatment of depression.

My recommendation would be to ask for a second opinion and start the depression treatment that will be effective. It would mean you'd most likely have to stop taking Elavil since it has serious interactions with newer antidepressants, but there are alternatives for IC pain management, too.