Hi, friends. My sister in law is persistent getting pregnant. It wouldn’t be a problem if she didn’t have lupus. I know that this disease is serious. I would like to know about its effects on pregnancy. I have read somewhere that in 10% of all cases it can end up with miscarriage. There can also be premature birth. I don’t know about the effects on baby like mental retardation or something similar.

Things have changed in past few decades when we talk about lupus and pregnancy. If you look in books that were made 20 years ago, you will see that women with lupus were advised not to get pregnant. However, this has changed. If a woman conceives in remission, she can get pregnant. Of course, special care is needed here. She can even use medications. Some of lupus medications are not so harmful. Your sister in law should discuss this with an expert and obstetrician. This kind of pregnancy should be carefully planned. I don’t recommend any step before consulting the experts.