Hello, my friends. I am six months pregnant, but it seems I have a tooth abscess. It gives me a lot of pain and I can’t bear it anymore. I would like to know whether I can treat it in pregnancy and which antibiotics I should use. Can I use any antibiotic? Thanks for all replies.

Hi, there. Well, it is really difficult problem. You should avoid many medications during pregnancy. And beside tooth drainage, some medications are also necessary for treating tooth abscess. Usually those are combinations of antibiotics and painkillers. As far as I know, penicillin is safe for pregnant women. Painkillers bring more risks. You shouldn’t take aspirin. Even non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID) can cause some types of heart defects. Naproxen and ibuprofen are not quite safe. You should talk about this with both your obstetrician and dentist. I hope everything will be all right.