My father is 57 and has been using effedrine for past 2 months. I would like to know more about this drug. My father is not so responsible when it comes to his health so I would like to know more to help him.

Your father needs to learn to be more responsible when it comes to his health in general, especially when it comes to taking the medicines. I know that this is easier said then done. He is old enough to know the significance of taking his medicine properly and as directed by his doctor. The only thing you can do to help him is to constantly keep telling him to take his medicine, when it is time for his dose, of course. Ephedrine is a sympathomimetic amine commonly used as a decongestant and chemically, it is an alkaloid derived from various plants. These plants are in the genus Ephedra. Ephedrine’s principal mechanism of action relies on its indirect action on the adrenergic receptor system. Ephedrine is found in many popular weight control products that have been banned. Some of the serious adverse effects associated with this drug include hypertension, stroke and myocardial infarct. I hope that this information will be clear enough for your father to help him be more cautious in the future.