My teacher told us Ephedrine was used in Chinese medicine for thousands of years. He said it has been used to treat symptoms of colds and asthma. After that he mentions something about abuse and adverse effects of this drug. All this interested me so I would like to know more about Ephedrine. I would like to know how if affects organism and what’s the way it helps us.

Ephedrine is a sympathomimetic that acts directly and indirectly on the sympathetic nerves of our organism. Its bronchodilating effects are the result of relaxation of bronchial smooth muscle. This happens through direct stimulation of ß adrenergic receptors. It is nasal decongestant, and has been used therapeutically for nocturnal enuresis, diabetic neuropathic edema, dysmenorrhea, and narcolepsy. Ephedrine in combination with caffeine has been shown to promote thermogenesis, fat loss, and muscle gain in some controlled trials. Ephedrine is metabolized to norephedrine, which is responsible for the central nervous system stimulating effects of the drug. Therapeutic doses for bronchodilation range from 12.5 to 50 mg three times per day. Maximum daily doses go between 120 and 150 mg. Because of its indirect effect on neurotransmitter stores, long-term use of ephedrine might lead to tachyphylaxis. Increasing dosage can induce toxic effects, including peripheral vasconstriction and cardiac stimulation, leading to increased blood pressure.