For a long time ago I have heard that some people use Ephedra like diet supplement to reduce weight. Personally, I am not really interested into losing weight. I know my sister wasn’t either, but in my last visit to her, I saw Ephedra. I wonder if there is any other reason someone use it, or it’s just weight loss product.

Ephedrine is derived from any of several species of Ephedra genus. While some of the Ephedra species have no alkaloid content, the E. sinica species typically has the highest concentration of ephedrine. The pharmacological effects of E. sinica are principally due to its ephedrine content. Ephedrine is a sympathomimetic that acts directly and indirectly on sympathetic nerves. Its bronchodilating effect is resulted of relaxation of the bronchial smooth muscle. That is happening through direct stimulation of ß adrenergic receptors. It is nasal decongestant, and has been used therapeutically for nocturnal enuresis, diabetic neuropathic edema, and dysmenorrheal. Ephedrine in combination with caffeine has been shown to promote thermogenesis. Beside this it has been reported and fat loss and muscle gain in several controlled trials. Side effects are increased with high doses, and overdose leads to nausea, vomiting, fever, palpitations, tachycardia, hypertension, paranoid psychosis, respiratory depression, convulsions and coma.