Hi, my father suffers from high blood pressure. He also smokes about thirty cigarettes a day. I keep telling him that this is not good for him, but he doesn't listen. Few days ago he went to have his regular check up. The doctor ordered blood works and the results were devastating. My father was immediately prescribed Lipitor for his cholesterol. I know that drugs are an important part of modern day medicine, but I was wondering how Lipitor will help my father. I mean what are the effects of Lipitor? Will my father's cholesterol levels go down if he takes this drug?

Hi, I can understand how worried you are about your father. My father gives me the same trouble. He just doesn't want to listen to reason. Like yours, my father is also a passionate smoker with high blood pressure. He eats a lot of greasy food, and does not pay much attention to his diet. Few months ago he suffered from a very mild heart attack. He recovered very quickly. After this episode the doctor prescribed him Lipitor. My father takes the medicine like the doctor prescribed, but like you, I also feel that this is not enough. I can understand that Lipitor can reduce the production of bad cholesterol, but I fear that without some serious diet changes, the drug will not help that much. I think that you should consult with your father's doctor about these diet and life style changes. Maybe the doctor can persuade your father to make the necessary steps towards the healthier life. I was not that lucky and now I only rely on the Lipitor effects on the production of cholesterol to help my father. I hope you will have more influence on yours.