Few days ago I saw something about surgery on TV and they mentioned ephedrine. What I want to know is how does this drug affect patients during surgery? What is the purpose of this ephedrine? What is this exactly?

I can not tell you if they are using this drug during some procedure. You can ask your doctor to explain you, especially if you are ahead of some procedure. Ephedrine is a sympathomimetic amine, an alkaloid derived from various plants. It is widely used for weight loss as an energy booster. These products often contain other stimulants, such as caffeine. They can have synergistic effects and increase the potential for adverse effects. Ephedra is a stimulant containing the herbal form of ephedrine and ephedra's main active medical ingredients are the alkaloids ephedrine and pseudoephedrine. There had been reports of adverse effects associated with use of products containing ephedrine alkaloid. Some of these serious adverse effects include hypertension, palpitations, nerve damage, muscle injury, psychosis, insomnia, nervousness, tremors, seizures, etc. There had also been reports of stroke, memory loss, heart attacks, and even death caused by these products.