My father is chronic alcoholic. He isn't listening to our words of advice; he doesn't care about the liver tests and the problems his drinking can cause. So, I wonder if there are any herbs that occasionally cure or prevent cirrhosis. Maybe that would be the only way to get to him.

This way of treatment won't help very much if your father refuses to stop drinking. Herbal remedies are used concerning liver diseases, but I'm afraid that they prevent more than they can cure. Anyway, I will list you some Latin names of those plants; some of them may be quite helpful. The bark of Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) has a tonic effect in cases of liver cirrhosis. Eclipta alba (Bhringaraj) is the main herb for treating liver disorders; it is regulating the levels of hepatic microsomal drug metabolizing enzymes. Tinospora cordifolia (Guduchi) and the root of licorice can also treat variety of illnesses, including liver disease. Some of these herbs are used in making a syrup G-LIV-DS which is the most powerful natural remedy protecting the liver. But, as I said, try to take him away from alcohol.