I’d like to hear what are the signs and symptoms of emphysema for I think my dad has it. He smokes too much and has trouble breathing. Anyway never heard of emphysema before but I have this neighbor claiming that my dad has it. So what emphysema is and how it can be diagnosed. Thanks.

I’m the one with emphysema disease and in my case it was caused by smoking. Now I’ve managed to low down the symptoms of emphysema by quitting smoking but once you get emphysema you have it for life meaning it’s chronic disease that damages air sacs in the lung causing breathing problem. And as time passes by it can get only worse. There’re some other factors that may cause emphysema except smoking such as air pollution and some rare genetic disorder I think it’s called Alpha-1 Antitrypsin deficiency. Anyway if your father has a feeling he can’t get his breath out of his lung or have wheezing, if he is tired constantly or if he lose weight without having any specific diet than he’s likely to have emphysema for these are the signs and symptoms of the disease. The thing is even worse if he smokes and also if you notice he has a barrel-shaped chest this also could be a sign of emphysema. If it is so than he better get diagnosed as soon as possible for the symptoms can get much worse. I was diagnosed with emphysema by several exams including physical exam when doctor is listening the lungs and breathing sounds, he also has done some measures how much air I can breathe out of my lungs and I also was done chest X-ray and some blood exams. And after I was diagnosed my doc told that the best emphysema treatment is quit smoking which I did it was hard quitting smoking but I can bet it has caused my emphysema symptoms has slowed down.