hi,

I was diagnosed with asthma about 3 months ago, I was a smoker, but have now quit (about 2 months ago) i use an asmol inhaler and have done since i was diagnosed, and just a few days ago, I have been experiencing shortness of breath and even wake up during the night and can hardly breathe at all. Could anyone shed some light on this?

Cheers.

The onset of shortness of breath while you are already on asthma medication could mean that your asthma may be getting worse. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD) as a result of cigarette smoking and congestive heart failure can also cause shortness of breath. Sleeping at an inclined position or popping your head up using lots of extra pillows will help you breathe easier while you sleep.

thanks heaps for the reply, I am now researching some of the things you said, i will also be talking to my doctor. much appreciated info. thanks again.