I am 46 and I was recently diagnosed with emphysema. I do not smoke so I was quite surprised with it. Can I get more info about this condition? My doctor told me that I am ok, but I still worry. Thanks

Emphysema is a chronic lung disease. After time it gets worse and it’s usually caused by smoking. However, this is not always the case, like with you. Having emphysema basically means that some of the air sacs in your lungs are damaged, making it hard to breathe. Emphysema can be caused by one thing or a combination of smoking, air polution or Alpha-1 Antitrypsin deficiency. Most cases of emphsyema are caused by cigarette smoking. This happens because cigarette smoke reaches deep into the lungs and causes permanent damage. People might think that feeling short of breath is a normal sign of aging, but it’s not. There is no cure for emphysema. However, it is possible to slow down the disease and make it easier to live with the symptoms. I am sure that you will be ok as long as you are taking care of yourself and living healthy.

I was diagnosed with the same condition recently, and I do not smoke as well. I receivwed the same information from my Doctor, "that I am ok," but I do not have the specifics of the my case yet.

Can you tell me if there is a special diet to follow when you have COPD

Emphysema is breakdown of lung tissue, can also in very very rare cases be caused from Apical Resection, basically when you remove the apex of the tooth roots, an inflamatory reaction, blood travels to the lungs, the lungs recorgnise the inflamation, chronic bacterial infections resoult in emphysema. and as I said very very rarely, but it does happen