I know what epididymis is, but lately I have heard some men develop chronic epididymitis. I have heard it is inflammation even when there is no infection of epididymis. My doctor said the cause is unknown, although it is thought that hypersensitivity of certain structures, including nerves and muscles, may cause or contribute problems with epididymis. I do not think this is enough for me, so I want to hear more about this. I would appreciate any info about epididymis and its chronic infection.

Epididymis refers to a series of small tubes, attached to the back of each testicle, used to collect and store sperm. Some of the known risk factors for chronic epididymal inflammation include genito-urinary surgery, exposure to STIs and prior attacks of acute epididymitis. However, a man without these risk factors can still develop this condition. Diagnosis of chronic epididymitis is done with tests, which are needed to distinguish chronic epididymitis from a range of other disorders that can cause constant scrotal pain. These other problems are testicular cancer, enlarged scrotal veins or a cyst within the epididymis. Tests may include a physical examination and ultrasound scan that doctor is going to perform. Treatment options for chronic epididymitis are not so wide, because epididymis is difficult to treat. Since there is no infection, antibiotics do not work, so patient could try frequent warm baths and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Common treatment option is therapy with medications to relax associated muscles and medications to alter nerve messages to the scrotum. Off course, there is always a surgery as a treatment option, to remove the affected epididymis