It has been almost eight months since I gave birth to my son and received an epidural. For the last couple of weeks I have been experiencing some pain in the injection site. I wouldn't say that I have back pain, just pain in the site. The pain mainly occurs later in the evening. %-)

I have been experiencing the exact same problem. I also gave birth to my son 8 months ago and I have had pain at the injection site for the past few months. I checked with my doctor and she believes it may just be inflammation that should resolve itself.

I gave birth to my son 5 months ago and I'm also having pain at the injection site. Does anyone know when is it expected to go away?? Do either of you still have the pain?

I had my son in July of 07' (almost 2 years ago) and I STILL have pain from the epidural injection site. It feels like I have a really bad bruise that won't go away. Sometimes if I get very upset or if my blood pressure rises I feel pains shoot down my back as if I am having labor contractions. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the epidural but I never had those pains until after the delivery of my son.

i had my daughter 5 months ago and also experience pain at the injection site of my epidural - sort of like a bruise. would like to know if it will ever go away - and will i have another 'bruise' when i have a second epidural?

My son was bor 12 1/2 years ago. I had a c-section, but before they realized I needed an emergency c-section I had an epidual. About 2 months ago I started have back pain in the exact spot where teh epidural was injected into my back. It feels like I have a really bad bruise. I had my sister look at my back and she said there is nothing there, no bruising, swelling, marks....NOTHING. It has really gotten pretty bad, like a constant pain. I called my OBGYN today and spoke with my Doctor whom did not deliver my son, nor did the office treat me 12 years ago, and they said they had never heard of any type of pain after 12 years. They said it had to be something else and I should go to my regular doctor and have him look at it. I know my body, I know where they stuck that needle, and I know that I have done absolutely nothing to my back to cause this pain. It is only the injection site, but the discomfort does spread out to about the size of a grown mans fist balled up. I personally think they did not want to say it was related to the epidural because of legal issues. I just want to know if it is truly possible after 12 years of nothing, to all of a sudden have this pain that won't go away. It feels like something is jabbing in my back when I lean back in a chair. Has anyone ever heard of this before. Could it truly be something else, or is it possibly from the epidural?

I gave birth to my daughter 13 months ago by emergency C section, i got induced so was given epidural and it was in for over 12 hours then I had to have an emergency C section but when they tried to top up the epidural it was not working so I had a spinal. I now have pain in the injection site, it comes and goes but always appears when i am sitting down-it feels uncomfortable and tingly and I have to rub it to make it feel better. Does anyone know why this is? ive never really thought to ask a doctor before, I always forget about it as it doesnt seem that important but now im worried it could be nerve damage.
Also do you think it will be ok to get another epidural?

I had my daughter 7 months ago and there were complications with the epidural--the anesthesiologist had to insert it twice, causing respiratory distress which left me unconscious. I have felt pain at the injection site ever since. I assumed it was due to the difficulities, but it sounds as if others have experienced the same problem, despite undergoing a seemingly routine procedure.

:-( I had my son just 3 1/2 months ago, I am in crucial pain right now. I can barely walk and with the cold it makes if worse. Yesterday I had a bruise on the left side of my back accompanied by swelling. This is the second time I feel this way in 3mths. I never had pain this way before the epidural. It does feel like a huge bruise in my back. Ive tried heating pads, theragesic and nothing is working. I don't recommend the epidural to anyone.

I have 2 kids ages 8 and 6. I STILL have pain in the exact spot from where I received my injection. i totally advise women to NOT get an epidural.

Just had my son a couple of months ago, and I have been having awful back pain periodically ever since. I can tell you right where they stuck the needle in for the epidural and that area is still sensitive. I spoke to my dr about it, and he recommended that I talk to another specialist. What was explained to me is this. During an epidural you have a needle stuck within your spine, typically when withdrawn it heals with no ill effects -BUT- very rarely it heals more like a scar. Any of us with csections know how odd and random scars can be, and how long the pain with those can last (sometimes forever). My doctor confided in me that his wife still had pain from there sons birth, which was 18 years ago. The pain I have been having is probably the worst pain I have ever felt, and I cannot find a way to lessen or stop it.

I had my third child 11 months ago and had no problems with the first two epidurals from my vaginal deliveries. For the last pregnancy had an epidural and a c-section at a University Hospital that specialized in trauma. I had a minimum of 10 pokes in my back with at least 4 hitting the bone and causing an electric pain to shoot down my body. They went so far to ask me if I had Scoliosis because they were having such a hard time (first two pregnancies got it in one try). Ever since the last one, I have a sore back at the injection site especially during damp weather. I feel very fearful as to how much damage may have really been done and how will it get worse over the years? I felt crazy until I found your responses as well.

I too have pain just in the injection site of where my epidural was. The anesthesiologist actually punctured my spinal chord and I ended up getting one of those types of headaches caused from the spinal chord fluid leaking and causing a pressure imbalance. But that aside, I still have pain at the injection site and my third child is now 2 1/2 years old. I think it may be scar tissue or inflammation and it's not unbearable just annoying, and a reminder of all the lameness of the third birthing experience.

The idea of scoliosis is an interesting one. They too suggested I may have a slight curvature of the spine causing their mistake in the injection site.

Had my daughter 19 years ago; yes 19 years ago and still get pain in the spot where the epidural was given. I first felt it about 1 year after she was born and it has been intermittent for the past 19 years. I don't know what it is, what causes it to flare up, and any Dr. you ask about it will say it's impossible. I should know, my husband is a anesthetist, gives epidurals, and talks with other who give them and they all say it is not possible. BUT IT IS