Hi, my wife had a labor two days ago, and she was under epidural anesthesia. She had severe headaches for several hours after the labor, and I am concerned about that. Could this be a side effect of epidural?

It usually happens in young people to have headaches after the epidural analgesia. It especially happens if they were not relaxed all the time, and if their neck was in the bad position. Don’t worry about this, it doesn’t last long. Epidural analgesia is very often used in labors, because it numbs the lower half of the body. The pain is completely relieved in 90% of the cases, and it usually doesn’t cause any side effects. Beside headache, a woman might feel itching after having am epidural analgesia, but it’s nothing serious. One more thing that can happen under epidural analgesia, is falling of blood pressure. But you don’t have to worry about that, because your wife has already delivered.