Can you tell me what the long term side effects are from having a epidural? Thank you

Health Advisor
What you should do is talk to your doctor about your case individually and see if you are at any risk of suffering epidural side effects. Epidurals can be helpful in certain situations but it could also harm the baby and the mother and impair labor.
Some of the side effects a mother could experience are drop in blood pressure, shivering, nausea, vomiting, headache, itching, incomplete pain relief, emotional detachment, loss of perianal sensation, problems with sexual functioning, feelings of regret, etc. There are also more serious side effects that are not so common. These are cardiac arrest, allergic shock, convulsions, respiratory paralyses, etc
Side effects a baby could occur include lack of muscle strength during the first hours of birth, drowsiness during birth, abnormal heart rate and sucking problems.
Labor can be also impaired cue to epidural use. Epidurals can prolong first or second stage of delivery, impair mothers ability to push, lead to cesarean section and need of episiotomy and others.
Like I said, discussing your individual situation with your doctor should help you decide whether to have epidural or not.

My son who is know 23 is suffering from low back pain and he's never fallen on his back and has been in Iraq in a tank and was wondering since I had an epidural for his birth and if this could be the results to his unknow reason.

Guest wrote:

Jean wrote:

My son who is know 23 is suffering from low back pain and he's never fallen on his back and has been in Iraq in a tank and was wondering since I had an epidural for his birth and if this could be the results to his unknown reason.

I would say no to that being his issue with lower back pain. I would think his back probably hurts from being in a little tank all day. My Ex drove a tank in the army and he always complained of back pain because of how he was positioned inside.

I had an epidural a month ago and now I am having extreme back spasms, and I
feel as though I can not get my breath. I am completely bent over when this happens. I will never get another
epidural because it was also very painful at the time. I have stenosis and the epidural was to try and relieve
the pain. It is worse now then before.