Recently I have noticed that my father's problem with tremors has become worse. I asked him about it and he told me that it was happening for a long time. I told him to go to doctor. At first he didn't want to go, but eventually did. He was diagnosed with essential tremor. What is this exactly?

Essential tremor is a nerve disorder in which tremors, shakes, occur without any known cause, when a person is moving or trying to move. All people have some degree of tremor that occurs during movement and this shaking is called physiologic, it occurs normally. This kind of shaking mainly involves the hands. Fatigue, anger, fear or using certain substances can cause worsening of physiologic tremor, to the point that it can become visible to the naked eye. Essential tremor is the most common form of abnormal tremor and it resembles to an exaggerated physiologic shaking. Essential tremor is worsened by the same factors that enhance physiologic tremor and the cause is unknown. However, new research shows that one part of the brain (cerebellum) does not appear to function properly in patients who have essential tremor. Over time, the tremors can affect the hands, arms, head, larynx, eyelids, or other muscles. Essential tremor rarely involves the legs or feet and it can start in one body part but progress to include other body parts.