Hi, I am a fifty eight years old man. In my life I did not have to deal with any serious medical condition. Couple of days ago I have notice a change with my body. I was watching TV, just lying and my hand started to shake. Since then, whenever I get in that position, the hand starts to shake again. I heard that this could mean that I have Parkinson's disease. But, as I said, the shaking occurs in only one hand. Do tremor in Parkinson's need to occur on both sides of the body?

Hi, I am afraid I have to tell you that you might have Parkinson's disease. I made this conclusion judging from what you have told me. One of the symptoms of Parkinson's disease is tremor. As for the answer to your question, it does not have to occur on both sides of the body. Beside the tremor, my suspicions that you might have this illness are also based on another fact. This kind of disease appears in most of the cases in late fifties and early sixties. The tremor that you have described is usually the first sign of Parkinson's disease. You should see the doctor as soon as possible and tell him about your concerns. It is very essential that the treatment starts as soon as possible. I hope everything turns out all right for you.