Hi, I have a problem that is bothering me a lot. I have tremor in fingers in one hand only. This doesn't happen all of the time, but only when I am not doing anything with my left hand. For instance, I notice the tremor while I am watching television, or when I am in a meeting. I feel that this problem could interfere with my career. I am a forty six years old male and I don't intend to retire soon. Could you tell me what might be the cause of the tremor in my fingers?

Hi, the most famous condition that causes tremor is Parkinson's disease. The first symptoms of this illness are tremors of the limbs on one side of the body. Also, these tremors occur while the affected limb is resting. Usually, these primary symptoms affect people around the age of sixty, but younger people can be affected by Parkinson's as well. The involuntary movements happen because of the dopamine deficiency. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter our nerve cells use to communicate. When there aren't enough amounts of dopamine the brain is not able to control muscle movement and tremors occur. Even though Parkinson's disease is the most famous condition with these symptoms, it is not the only one. Therefore, you shouldn't waste any more time, but go to the doctor right away. The sooner the right diagnosis is determined, the sooner can you start the treatment. And when it comes to Parkinson's early treatment is very important.

I would not be so quick to diagnose this as an early onset of alzheimer's disease. Hypodopamine may not be entirely ruled out, and seeking fast medical advice is recommendable.

It also might likely be associated with essential tremor, and treated with beta blockers.

I'm being treated with propranolol and it helps but causes my nose to run and my eyes to water. I was told by a doctor friend that propranolol is an exact duplicate of indorol when I asked if changing to another beta blocker might help without the side effects.