Hi. My grandpa is 80 years old. He was diagnosed with essential tremors. His hands are trembling every time he wants to pick up something. He can`t hold a cup, he can`t eat normally, and he has difficulties writing. I would like to hear anything about treatment options.

Hi. Most patients diagnosed with essential tremor are not on any kind of therapy. Simple lifestyle changes can be really helpful and ease his tremors. Your grandpa should rest a lot and avoid stress. He should also avoid coffee and Coke. If this doesn`t work, there are some meds that can relieve the tremors, including beta blockers, anti-seizure meds, tranquilizers, and botulinum toxin type A injections. For some people who doesn`t respond to meds, surgery can be the solution.

I'm 75 and have been treated for essential tremors for 12 months with a beta blocker. It helps a lot but causes my eyes to burn and my nose to run. I don't see that anyone else has that side effect.

What's different is that my tremors are not caused by use nor do they interfere with my carrying anything in the hand that trembles. It only does it when I'm not thinking about it. I can carry a bowl of water or such without it shaking. It only trembles when at rest.