We live in Upstate NY and we are looking for a good spine specialist to look at my fiance's case. He has had 2 fusions and another surgery to remove the hardware and has found no relief of pain. At this point I don't care if we have to travel to see a doctor. We have been dealing with this for years and we are looking for a doctor that specializes in this and will be able to help him with the pain he continues to have. Does anyone have any recommendations for an excellent spine specialist? I don't care...we will travel anywhere as long as someone might be able to help him. He is only 34 years old, a police officer who's now been out of work for some time because of this, and pretty much is in bed all the time. We need help! The dr's here just keep pushing more and more meds which is scary in itself. We would love any suggestions. Thank you!

I used to live in upstate NY mohawk valley region. I have significant spinal issues from an auto accident and all the pain associated with it!
I have had seven major surgeries on my lumbar back region and also a cervical surgery. I can tell you with certainty there is NO SUCH THING as "no pain"! I have met numerous back surgery patients whom will confirm my theory!
If you google online you will see that most back surgeries are medically classified as "failed back surgery"- something I was never aware of. There are tons of doctors who will implant morphine pumps and other devices however, these all have repercussions! I was taking so much pain medication I could not function! I made up my mine to stop the drug regimine so I could function in society and save my liver!
I did find two doctors who claim to rectify "failed back surgery" with one being in Florida, the other in California. Both are orthopeadic specialist. I had a neurosurgeon with every back and neck surgery given the specialty and my concern for my spinal cord and nerves! I think this surgery would be better performed if both a neurosurgeon and orthopedist were to team up since it involves both bone surgery and nerves.
I was informed that when ever a bone is compromised with surgery, the fine lining surrounding the bone is disturbed. Once that occurs, that lining does not heal and complications such as bone spurs etc are almost gauranteed! That brings you right back to square one with nerve irritation which is the culprit for the pain we experience!
Having said all of the above, you now have to face the "opinion" factor where some doctors will stead fastly say no surgery and others will deem it absolutely paramount!
There are many surgeons in the upstate NY area if we are referring to Albany and surrounding communities! I used one of the area practices, I liked the doctor personally as he had excellent bedside manner, was up front with his medical opinion and approach, and over all very accommodating to my condition and needs. However, I also feel that the BEST doctors are going to be in more populated areas such as NYC, Boston, Etc because they see a huge volume of patients and perform far more surgeries than small town doctors. Having said that, You may want to pursue that avenue but FAILED BACK SURGERY is real and it has nothing to do with the doctor's performance under most circumstances! The surgical release you sign prior to going in the OR specifically states NO GUARANTEES!!!!!!!!
My suggestion from experience would be surgery if you can't function, however long term- no pain is not a reality!
I hope my blunt approach is not concieved as nonsense but as a realistic opinion as I have been through this ordeal with more complications than probably most would ever experience and I am still in pain every day, but not addicted to drugs, not destroying my liver, and life goes on!