I had my scoliosis surgery 13 years ago and they placed a metal rod in my back. It was 100% successful. However, I am currently experiencing lower back pain. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there anything I can do to help with this problem?

I had Scoliosis surgery too about 16 years ago when I was 12. I had the rods put into my back as well and at the time the surgery was successful. However, In the past few years I have had nothing but constant pain. My neck, shoulders, entire back, hips, and knees throb in pain all day long. At times it feels like I have been in a car accident with severe whiplash. My neck and shoulders specifically hurt the worst and I am in so much pain sometimes that I can't even raise my arms above my head. Nothing I do seems to alleviate the pain. I have just learned to deal with it and don't want to turn to pain killers. I wish someone could tell us what we could do to help the pain because it is horrible! I can barely lift up a basket of clothes when I do laundry or bring in the groceries from the car without being completely wiped out. If anyone has any information on why this is happening or suggestions on how to help me, I would really appreciate it!

I had surgery for scoliosis 15 years ago. I never had any pain until 2 years ago. I constantly have pain in my neck and shoulder blade. I have come to the point that I don't sleep with a pillow ,so that my back is completely flat on the bed. I feel that it helps. I try not to stretch my back out when I feel any pain and I also take pain relievers at the moment I feel it coming on.

Hey I have read elsewhere that this type of pain may be the result of a rod or something breaking or moving, you might wanna talk to your doctor and get x-rays

I had my surgery 4 years ago and for the past year I've been gradually experiencing more and more discomfort which has turned into pain. It feels like something is caught (a ligament maybe) at the top of the rod between my shoulder blades and I have to contort my back around 50 time per day to "release" the discomfort of it. It's getting worse and I have to lay flat on my back without a pillow at night to get a good night's sleep with minimal pain in the morning. The doctor keeps saying I just need to exercise and get massages but I'm doing both on a regular basis and it's not helping. What is going on here!?!?!

I had rods put in my back in 1994. I have been experiencing pain like everyone in this post has been describing. The worst comes when you try to stand up and can't. I will not take drugs for this. What I did find is something I truly hope all of you will try. The Practice is called NUCCA. Go to www.NUCCA.org . They gently adjust your Axis and basically put your head on straight. :-). I highly recommend only going to a doctor who is NUCCA board Certified. The one's who are not sound like "Alternative Medicine Doctors". I am out of Chicago and use Dr. Marshall Dickholtz. After your fist adjustment you will fell better then you ever did before. I truly hope everyone takes my advice. It's so worth it to be living pain free!

Have a good one,
John

I HAVE DONE WORK WITH PEOPLE IN PAIN FROM THIS SURGERY.

WE HAVE HAD TOTAL SUCCESS USING ESSENTIAL OILS.

PAIN IS GONE IMMEDIATELY, AND THE BONE BEGINS TO STRENTHEN WITHIN WEEKS.

ANYONE MAY CALL IF INTERESTED IN INFORMATION

810/444/2420

Just like the one person on here...I had scoliosis surgery 4 years ago when I was 17 and just a few weeks ago I've been having a lot of pain...especially when I extend my arm to reach for something, when I have to do lifting or reaching for something. It definitely feels likes I'm pulling something in my upper back, and when the pain comes, it's almost like a stabbing pain, then I have to quickly retract my back so that it's straight...it's so weird. I really hope nothing is wrong I am so worried that a hook or something is loose, I don't know what to do. I'm going to the doctor's in a few weeks, and I'm going to ask him what's up. Maybe I should try physical therapy, and I know a massage would work...but it's so hard because all of this care is very expensive..I'm not rich where I can just go for massages all the time! But also...the "pulling, sharp" pain...although it starts in my upper back, it seems like it now is sore and painful in my lower back too...I would really love to know what's going on! :'(

I had two rods put in 11 years ago and have been experiencing a lot of discomfort for the past few years in my lower back, which has now turned into pretty intense pain at some points. My pain is similar to another person's post on here...it feels like something is caught, except mine is at the lower end of the rod where one of my hooks is. The hook sticks out a little and I can hear and feel something grinding on it. It used to be only when i exercised (i played two college sports and had a lot of trouble with pain then) but now it is becoming more constant. It still flares up more intensely when I am active. My surgeon will not see me because I am over 21 (he does pediatrics) and other doctors have no clue what to do with me and keep referring me to other doctors. The last one said maybe i should stop playing sports and being active. I am not the kind of person that can stop being active, it is my life. Anyone have any suggestions. Very frustrated and in pain!!! :'(

i had surgery for scoliosis when i was 13 I'm 33 now everyone has their own threshold for pain i can put up with a lot of pain and i have its more of a vanity thing for me personally i wish that i could have had a say in the matter because i think that the surgery causes more problems than it helps in the long run from what iv read theirs a hole list of degenerative effects that it has on the body as iv gotten older its gotten worse I'm an active person i think that a person should stay active sitting in a chair wont help at least not for me part of the spine where the rod is fused will not move again so that causes atrophy i take hot baths every night it relaxes the muscles stretching you need to stretch i had a chiropractor who used a massage tool with gel the heat is really good for the muscles it feels really good what iv come to realize is that because of my condition i really have to take care of my body or it will fall apart i live for a day when i'm not in pain that i can totally be comfortable my body and my spine is straight that's what i want to know is their a way to straighten the spine after surgery with a brace? has any one ever had the rods removed? and what effect did have

I also have immense pain in my lower back years after surgery for scoliosis. I'm 26 now and had the operation about 10 years ago. Everything was fine until about 6 months ago when I began to experience sharp pains in the left side of my lower back. Even is the sharp pains subside by the end of the day (if I'm lucky), my back aches to the point where I am left feeling frustrated and in terrible pain.

I feel as though I am always complaining about the pain to my partner but it is so incredibly intense. The sharp pains sometimes cause me to loose my footing and I have almost fallen so many times - which makes it feel much worse.

I wonder if anyone knows if there is ANYTHING I can do to make my back feel better and what it could be. I have just started a new job and am worried that I might loose it if I take too much time of making doctors appointments.

I used to run a lot but stopped around the same time the pain got worse and so it could be that my muscles are weaker than they were. I am too scared to try and run again with the pain.

I had surgery when I was fourteen years old. A single Harrington rod was inserted and the surgeons were pleased with the results. When I turned 21 I went back for more surgery (costplasty, I think) to flatten the prominent ribs on one side of my back. This went well, although I didn't gets the results I hoped for. I'm 34 now and have suffered a lot of pain over the last few years. X-rays have shown that I have a worn vertabrae near the bottom of my spine, as that's the part that now does most of the flexing, along with my neck. These are the two areas that hurt the most. Some days my head feels so heavy, and sleeping is no longer a pleasure.
However, I can live with the pain, but what bothers me the most is the prominent ribs (on my back and now my front) and my neck which is angled forwards, if you know what I mean.
Does anyone know if there is anything that can be done (anywhere in the world) to reduce the rib hump further, and perhaps reposition my neck. I've seen specialists in the UK, but they seem to shrug me off and tell me to stop worrying. This doesn't help me. This has been an issue for me for 20 years and I dream of the day when I might go to the local swimming pool again. I've managed to live a relatively normal life, apart from avoiding any situations where I might need to remove my shirt.

Can anyone recommend any surgical procedures that are available to make me look more normal, and where I might go to get the ball rolling, so to speak? I'd be very grateful for any info on this matter.

Many thanks

Bill

I had Surgery that inserted two harrington rods in my back in 1998, I am now 24. I can say that I have experienced all the pain that you all have spoken of, I have much trouble with lifting my left arm all the way sometimes, it just hurts. I feel cramped up like crazy and I feel there is never enough stretching in the world that I can do. Any ideas anyone. I often feel completly lethargic for the entire day when I have very bad back pain.

I had surgery over 30 years ago in 1976 and then approx. a year later had the herrington rod removed because I felt it move in my back. Everything was great for about 20+ years and then I began experiencing muscular pain that was mostly lower back, hips and sciatic in buttocks and legs and numbness in the feet. Lifting anything heavy brought this on.

After a car accident that hurt two of the three disks left unfused in my lumbar (and kept me immobile) and another fusion with a cage at level L5-S1, I, my life is radically different from the old days of working out at the gym several times a week. I can't even do laundry, dust or light gardening without terrible pain. Every movement hurts almost all the time. Because activity brings on pain, I fear being active and that makes things worse because everything is falling apart.

I definitely think that the spinal fusion done to correct scoliosis may cause more trouble than it fixes. Not being able to flex one's spine puts extreme stress on everything else and when we get older we pay dearly for that. I'm only 47 and fear the future of immobility, dependence and pain.

I had scolisosis and I can tell you what helped me:

I had surgery when I was about 12 years old and now I'm 18. I've experienced alot of shoulder pain, back pain and espesciallyyyy pain in the lower back. My doctor didn't allow me to do any sports or participate in gym for about two years. When I would go in for check ups I asked what could I do to help alleviate the pain and was told nothing really. Well let me tell all of you, that is complete bs! There is alot that can be done and I know because I've done it, am doing it, and will continue doing it cause I feel great!

First off- for any back related issues, swimming is the BEST sport. However, it's not easy to swim by yourself so signing up for a class or doing it with another person is helpful. Although, some people can't afford this...but that sHouldn't stop you from going on your own.

Secondly- Physical Therapy!!!!!!!!!!!! My physical therapist is absolutely amazing. If you have alot of lower back pain, it is a very good idea to build your upper back muscles so that they will start to pull everything else up and help you straighten out.
Abs. A strong stomach=back support
At the end of my work out my physical therapist massages my back and helps stimulate the muscles that may have been imobile for awhile because they aren't used. In my case, even though I had a completely sucessful surgery, my lower spine wasn't completely straightened. And prior to the surgery, when your spine is more to one side...your muscles and everything has been pulled to that one side...the key is to EVEN them out by building and strenghtening those muscles. Logically, it makes sense. I hope this helps! Obviously if you're experiencing pain you should consult a doctor and make sure that nothing is broken or anything crazy going on...but if you're ever told after surgery for scoliosis that there's nothing you can do to alleviate pain besides pain medication, 99% of the time, it's bs.

so anyway to sum up a bunch of things that can help:

Swimming
Physical therapy
Yoga
Heating pad
Massages
ab and upper back work-outs
(try to get a professional to guide you so you don't strain/hurt yourself by doing something wrong)