I had L3-L5 titanium fusion. After 3 years I still feel pain (more like pressure) and stiffness. I started to use a bicycle and start swimming. I also had recent x rays, which did not show arthritis or bone spurs. I would like to know, if I am doing the right exercises and if there are any others, that are also recommendable?

Yes, swimming is very good. But swimming can make person tired very easily. Better try walking in water or running in place. Also, water aerobics is very recommendable, because joints in water are underweighted, so you can do much more activity with less pain.

I had a L5-L3 decompression and fusion with titaniam rods and screws. This was done in May 06 and the left leg pain is gone but i have pain in my right groin and hip; the doctor is going to do a cat scan because i don't think you can have a Mri after. It has been 8 months and i felt better in the summer. they kicked me out of physio because of the swelling ..Please let me know how anyone is doing after this long and the doctor says a yr. but I sure fell awful. :-(

I had back surgery after a fall at work two stories high and broke two disc L-4 L-5 and pinched s-1 nerve . Its been 6 years and all i feel is preasure and massive pain cold or hot weather Im in hell with pain every day of my life . Dr wants to take the plates and screws out soon I hope it takes some pain away im 36 and feel 96 . I cant sleep I cant eat this pain has robbed me of my life .

I had L4-L5 disk replacement in May 1, 2006. They used bone from my hip. I had previously hade L5-S1 done in Aug 2003 with donor bone and was able to return to work in 4 weeks. At this time, I am still on disability and wearing an "external bone growing vest from Orthofix". I have worn it for 9 weeks now and the pain is still as bad as bad as before. I have noticed a weakness in my legs as well as incontinence. When the pain hits at night, I can't get up in time to get the the restr room. My doctor will decide in 3 weeks whether he will redo the surgery with donor bone. I hope he does, because I have pain all the time & I want my life back.

I know how youy feel as I am almost 1 year post fusion..L3-4 &5 with titaniam rods also.
I am down to 2 hydrocodones a day but I wait to be able to have them as I don't want to get addicted to them. I too feel awful each day. I continue to work in the medical field and wonder how I manage it all.

Going home at night is all I can manage. Weekends I do more than I should but who can afford to hire a housekeeper, etc?
Just keep on "truckin" and don't feel sorry for yourself.

Sometimes I wonder if I should have subjected myself to it all.

Keep in touch roadrunner69
Jane

I did my best (and continue to do so by adding to the site as often as I can) to make this site the most complete resource for everyone, no matter what their goals are. Whether you came here to learn about weight loss and how to lose fat, or the high protein diet, or descriptions of exercises for each muscle, or if you came here to learn about ab workouts, the most effective muscle building and weightlifting exercises, how to gain weight and get big, or if you came here to learn about protein powder, bars, shakes and supplements, workout routines and programs, or diet and nutrition facts, it is all here, plus much more, just for you, 100% FREE!

Swimming is definitely a great exercise for people with arthritis and you may also combine swimming with exercises under the water.

Wow guys and gals, I am so sorry to hear all this bad pain going around. I sure can relate as I had two herniated discs....S-1, L4, L5.....This is from thinking I was going to live forever and just working hard all my life. I am now forty one. I had a lamanectomy about two years ago and it failed after just four months. I am now five months post lumbar fusion surgery. The pain in my legs, quads and glutes is all but gone. I just have normal old lower back pain from muscular degeneration. I am starting to excercise this week and we will see how far I can come back. The back fusion thing well we all know that it was a three way split on the way it would turn out. One third it would show no improvement, the other third is it would be worse and lastely and the miracle we all look for is improvement. I am the latter and thank GOD, after twenty years of being in pain to some degree or the other and living off vicoden in the beginning and oxy at the end......I am free. I felt good after the first sugery though so I am waiting for the hammer to drop lol. Well all I can say is keep your chins up and I sure hope the best for each and everyone of you folks out there. GOOD LUCK ALL

Kevin

i also had l-3 to l-5 back fusion with full hardware and bone from my right hip, although it has been 3 years post surgery for my self, i still have sever pain in my right hip/groin. i had my surgery at LOMA LINDA UNIVERITY and i feel thy did a good job, but i still have pain. i continue with pain management, and just this past 5 months i have had a spinal cord stimulater surgically placed to help with the pain. seems really hard to get a solid answer from any DR. as to why the pain continues.

Pain due to surgical trauma such as spinal fusion using metal rods is hard to fix because of permanent disruption of body tissues by the surgical implant. A portable TENS unit is something that you can try.
I bought a portable TENS unit on the internet (US$60 plus $5 shipping) for an elderly relative of mine who had idiopathic low back and leg pain. She had been on quinine sulfate for her leg cramps and Tylenol for her back and leg pain for several years when treatment began. The pain was at times so intense that she was confined to a wheelchair. She used the device for long periods of time whenever she was home. After 3 days, her pain was substantially reduced. After 2 weeks, her pain was almost entirely gone. she is now totally off pain medication and she can walk without assistance. Her doctors were amazed with her recovery.

I too have had lots of back surgeries-3 discectomies, 1 fusion, 2 test surgeries for a stimulator, and finally a stimulator. I too am trying to figure out what exercises would be safe for me. As you may or may not know you have limited range of motion with fusion, but what may be more important here is with the stimulator you're not suppose to bend, stretch or twist as it can move the wire that dilivers the stimulation, away from your spine, in that case you can no longer feel the stimulation and will have to have the unit replaced before the 4-6 years that you would normally have to replace the unit. Scary stuff. But I want to exercise, I want to strengthen my back, and flatten my stomach. I just don't know what I can do. And guess what, neither did the physical terrorist, er I mean therapist Any help that anyone could offer me, sure would be appreciated.

tamster wrote:

Guest wrote:

Try a portable electrical muscle stimulator (EMS). EMS is clinically used to prevent muscle wasting disease in patients who are paralyzed or bedridden for long periods of time. I bought one online for my sports injury rehab. The electrodes will cause specific muscles to contract and relax in pulses that you can adjust to your needs, and without you consciously thinking about it. You can easily attach the self-stick electrodes on your ab and on your back. You can safely exercise your muscles this way without moving an inch of your body. I like to wear mine overnight and set the stimulator to "continuous" run.

Hi i am also a roofer. I took a fall and sept 23/08 had mechanical spine fusion and decompression. S1-L3. I am having alot of sharp pains in both hips, left more than the right. I also am now experiencing hot burning spots on my left hip and leg. I do not go back to see surgeon till Nov. 17.
I am concerned with my long term outlook. I am hoping this pain will pass. Another great concern of mine is the heat that is radiating from my surgical site on back. Is yours hot to the touch? I live in wet and damp BC Canada and the humidity causes extreme pain and aching. I find applying heat does relieve some of the discomfort. I am not taking anything other than Tylenol #3. I am however taking large daily doses. Somedays up to 20. Most days I get by with approx. 12. I look forward to hearing from you and if you surgical site post op. feels warm. Thanks RF.

i had surgery jan 2010 my feet abr tingling and my left heel is num i had a spianl fusion and decompression L4L5 amy hip s are acheing all the time. the pain is worse then before my Lt leg is ice cold but to touch it it is warm can someone help :'(