I‘ve been recommended to do TMJ surgery. I have this particular disorder and conservative medical options have failed. I am suffering from headaches, earaches, popping sounds in the jaw, and various other types of facial discomfort. I want to know what types of TMJ surgeries are there.

I think there are three types of TMJ surgeries: Arthroscopic surgery is performed using a small camera and instruments; open joint procedure which involves approaching the temporomandibular joint through an incision in a skin crease in front of the ear and reserved for those severe and chronic conditions that haven't responded to other surgical methods, total joint replacement. This involves removing the deformed or degenerated joint and replacing it with a custom-designed TMJ prosthesis made specifically for each patient.

I had surgery for tmj joints as well as upper and lower osteotomy le forte in December of 2005. I had unbearable pain in my joints as well as chronic headaches and an array of other complaints. I had braces on at the time and my teeth were banded together for 5 1/2 months. Now, my situation is much worse. It seems that the scar tissue in my tmj joints has grown around those joints (or something like it) and I am unable to open my mouth more than an inch or so. I am literally starving to death and my prognosis seems very hopeless. I don't know if there is a medical negligance issue here but it sure appears that someone didn't do something right. Have you ever heard of such a thing? I did not have full joint replacement but I think that may be my only hope. Of course getting a insurance company to see it that way is another story.

I have been suffering from TMD for 14 years now. I have been through all the non-invasive treatment from having 12 different bite splints/night guards, physical therapy for years, soft diet, muscle relaxers, anti-inflammatory drugs, pain meds and so forth. I have seen about a dozen different doctors. I have also had 2 arthroscopic surgeries to recover an anterior displaced disc which, because of scar tissue, was unable to be captured back into place. Last year I had an MRI that showed an obliterated meniscus still displaced. I recently had an x-ray that showed I no longer had a condyl head and it was just flat as a pancake. Now, my left tmj is starting to completely come out of joint when I open my mouth, this worries me. it is pushing in to my ear and causing me hearing loss, and pressure build up in my ear that cannot be relieved. I am told by my doctor that there is nothing that can be done about it and just live with it. I know that there are risks involving invasive surgery but am unsure what avenue I should take

I had TMJ surgery 7 months ago. I can open my mouth fine and feel no pain, But once i came out of the operation my face was lop sided looking like i had a stroke. But this has left me with a droopy eye and unable to blink which i am told is irreversable, i just wish i had been made aware of all the other remedies that could of probably helped. Please try every other alternative therapy available, and only have this operation as a last resort

I had a tumor removed off of my condyle and it has caused SO many problems. I know have TMJ, all becuase of this tumor, I have limited opening of my jaw, can't yawn, have a hard time chewing, have vertigo, all sorts of itching all around my ear, inner ear itch that never goes away. I could go on and on. I had no choice in the surgery but if it was just due to TMJ, I would explore all other options before getting surgery like a night guard, physical therapy etc. It has been a year now since my surgery.

Has anyone had a TMJ surgery using the temporalis muscle as the joint. I am scheduling that surgery now and I am very scared. I know that I will have to have a total joint replacement in about 5 to 10 yrs. I am not having the joint replacement yet because my dr. said the surgery is still in the experiemental stage and that I should wait.

I was recently informed that i had a bone ship in between my joint which is causing friction/rubbing on the meniscus (disc) so I will be needing surgery as well. But i am currently finishing my 2nd year of Massage Therapy and i did my case study on this disorder prior to finding out that this is my diagnosis. Massage/Physio/Chiropractors/Acupuncture as well as daily remedial exercises and stretching can help if it is muscular or even if the muscles are what has caused the joint/bones to misalign. But if it is bone/disc that is looking to be more surgical, but after all my research i have found that out of TMJ sufferrers there is only 1% of the population that get these surgeries as they are highly invasive and often cause referral pains and issues. Sometimes in my case there is nothing else to be done but the recovery and lifestyle choices after the surgery are up for me to make it successful as well. Diet change ~ no chewing solid, chewy foods and absolutely no gum as that is just strengthening the wrong muscles and can cause the issue to recurr. Splints/night guards are a way for you to prevent future issue and for those who gring their teeth at night these are a god send. Physio to give you exercises on strengthening the correct muscles. But remember to baby the joint as compression injuries can cause alot of surrounding issues as well. That's my 2 cents for now. Wishing all of you the best with your individual situations

I have a TMJ issue (acute anterior disk displacement without reduction). I have very bad jaw pain and clicking sounds and the pain has spread to my neck and head. My mouth opening is 20 mm and I can't eat anything hard or talk a lot at length. I am trying the night guard which does give me a bit of relief when I wake up but overall the problem doesn't get cured. When is surgery recommended in such cases? I have been to several dentists and doctors but noone seems to have a good solution or answer. They say we can try this and that but I am not convinced that its going to get solved.
Anyone has any recommendations? Is discectomy recommended? I am 30 years old and have been suffering for the past 5 years.

I have a TMJ problem and I am 19 years old and I have had it my whole life but it just keeps getting worse. I can only open my mouth about 2 cm or else it will dislocate. It cracks, pops and grinds all the time and there is constant pain. Everytime I eat my jaw gets so tired to the point where I can't chew because it hurts so bad and everytime I yawn my jaw dislocates. I constantly get headaches from my jaw and can't talk for long lengths of time because my jaw just gets so tired. I can't eat anything hard, chew gum or anything that forces my jaw to work harder because if I dislocate my jaw, the musles will go into spasm and I will have to go to the hospital to have a doctor put it back in place for me. As long as my muscles don't go into spasm I can put my jaw back in place by biting down hard. The bones are so warn down that my jaw will go in and out of place all day long. I talked with a surgeon about surgery and it involved breaking 2 places on each side of my jaw and shifting the bones, does anyone know what this surgery is called? or recommend anything else? If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Caitlin,
I've had severe jaw pain since I was young too, so I totally understand how hard it can be. Most of my college years were spent in pain figuring out how to deal with this issue...and I've had lots of surgeries to try to fix it.
Have you had any imaging of your jaw done? This would probably be the absolute FIRST thing any reputable surgeon would want to do - either an MRI or CT scan to see what is going on inside the joint.

After that there are many different TMJ surgeries, I found a good website that talks about the different ones and what they are like...
http://www.tmjhope.org/tmj-treatment/tmj-surgery/

They also have some information about pain that might be helpful for you.

I hope you feel better soon! :)

Hi, I had some sort of scan done where it took a 360 degree xray of my jaw. The specialist I saw didn't tell me exactly what it was that was wrong with my jaw other then I have an abnormal jaw structure. So I guess my best bet is to just go back and find out exactly whats wrong. Thank you :-)

Im not sure I have the same as what you all seem to be suffering with, though its a T.N. problem so I guess that's quite different, though it is painful also, pain is a very big problem for very many people.

I had radiotherapy surgery done on the left side of my lower spine, a few months ago, its a procedure that involes having needles placed in your disc's and the nerves burned away, it was painful enough, though it has had brilliant results for me, no more leg pains or siatica and I am able to walk distances I never could before, that was sucessful surgery Hallelujah.

Then because of this pain I have had in my back teeth for 4years the same surgeon carried out the same procedure for the neurolgia it was diagnosed as.
The surgery envolved suffering excruciating pain at the outset, it was so bad I was nearly sick, though had to fast before hand the night before, no wonder, it envolved finding the correct nerve, as there are 3 sited in the face, he was supposed to destroy nerve no 2 instead no 3 was destroyed by burning it, that part I was put under sedation for, it has now left me with more pain than before having it, the pain returned in my back teeth, its just like having toothache all the time, plus now I have facial pain to contend with also, the chin and bottom lip are numb put also have pain with the numbness, it is as if I had come from the dentist and my right side of face was still numb from injection that freezes the area, thats the best way to describe it I guess, but it never wears off, it will always remain that way, its just as well I know the Lord and am saved, otherwise I could not endure it all, its through His strength I bear it.
Praise to His name.

at what clinic/hospital have you had your arthroscopic surgery done?

I have a similar problem.

I am suffering the same condition. Been adviced to go to Sweden, Washington or Wienna. This is a jungle. Would be intereseting to know where you live:had your procedures done, I live in Norway, and there is little treatment and or research about this.
Much greatful for answer.
Bettan.