After months of EXTREME right shoulder pain and limited movement, I underwent a total shoulder replacement surgery. I had never heard of it before and yet it has been done for 20 years! I am only 55 years old and the pain was horrible . It was totally from degenerative arthritis. My DR. said the bones were wore away. Well, my surgery was a great success! I hardly even used pain meds during my recovery. It has been 3 months since my surgery. I am using my arm almost normally - still some weakness. I was told 6 months to a year for total recovery. I was not promised to have the movement I had 20 years ago, but with no pain, I will take it!
My Rheumatologist has said I should see a hand specialist for the same problem with my index and middle fingers. I cannot undergo any more cortisone shots for the pain. So, I suppose knuckle replacement is next. While this is also due to arthritis, I believe it was caused by Sister Mary Regina in kindergarten smacking my left hand with a wooden ruler every time I picked up my pencil with my left hand. In those days they thought being left-handed was the sign of evilness!

I had a Copeland Hemi-Arthroplasty, left shoulder, 4 April 06. Have been in considerable pain ever since. Awaiting a second opinion consultation.

Hemi-Arthroplasty life expectancy is about 10-12 years.

My problem was/is arthritis and osteophytes. Took up Pilates and was regaining good mobility. I should never have had the surgery. My ROM (range of movement) is very poor, about 40% as opposed to prior to surgery 70% on poor days and 90% on good days. There seems to be considerable nerve damage and also muscle damage. I am living on anti-inflammatories and pain meds - far more so then ever before. The shooting pains are like thin metal skewers being driven into the shoulder and humerus, excruciating - many times has me screaming out, involuntary screaming as the stabs happen.

I would never contemplate this type of replacement surgery again. This surgery has affectively thrown my active life onto the compost heap.

Revision for a Copeland Hemi-A is full replacement and then one is lumbered. A full and active life is not possible thereafter - my activities are horse riding, dog training, mushing (sled dogs, sledding), gardening. My life style is not sedentary.

This surgery has ruined my life.

Try a product found at your feed store. It is DMSO used to help horse's joints. It smells like garlic but have seen bent finger joints able to become stright.

I am a 36 year old male living near Grand Rapids, MI, USA. I have been dealing with deterioration of my shoulder joints. Specifically my right shoulder. I have had a couple arthroscopic procedures done. What the doctors are saying is that the ball of my shoulder somehow has a deep crushed indention in it which is scraping and tearing away at the glenoid all the way to the bone (the indentation in the head of the humerus is also to the bone). This is what they say is causing the catching, popping and pain in my shoulder. To memory, I do not recall ever injuring my shoulder. My left shoulder is at the stages of where my right was at in the beginning. I have been dealing with this for 11 or so years now. I have two young boys with whom I cannot play with. I cannot throw a ball, shovel, rake, exercise, swim, work on cars (which is my love), or anything that requires lifting or rotating of my arms. If I do manage to do anything or do it without first thinking, I pay for it for days with extreme pain. I rate the pain at an 8 or 9 on a 10 scale. I rate a normal day between 5 to 7.

The latest specialist (who did the last arthroscopy) says that I need a replacement but he won’t advise it until later in life. He says that my range of motion and quality of life would be worse than what it is now. From what I have read, this should actually improve since my muscles and rotator muscles, while weak, are all undamaged as far as we can tell.

Any advice on what I can do? Anyone you recommend I speak to? I am so sorry for the email but I am getting desperate.

I am 52 and under went a total shoulder replacement,I also had two extra bones growing called goats beard.Funny name since they looked like stalagetites hanging off my bone cut off.It was all due to arthritis and a bursa.Itwas the most painful surgery you could go thru.I have been going to pt for 5 mths now and can only lift my arm up 50%.Im trying hard but its frustrating.Now I have nerve damage and am on Lyrica.Anyone else with the same problem out there?My e-mail address is Ssgbabe1@yahoo.com

I just turned 49 & am about to have my 4th surgery on my left shoulder!! My 1st was a cuff tear repair in '05 at which time it was noted I had arthritis. That was the most painful surgery I had!! In '07 after never regaining mobility & continued pain I went to see a "sholuder only" surgeon who said I had about the worst arthritis he had seen. I went through debridment in Oct '07 to buy some time due to my age but had replacement surgery in Feb '08. I was told that a hemi was going to be attempted but they would be prepared if that wasn't possible & would do a total. My husband & I were both told that the hemi was attempted but could not be done due to some issues with shoulder structure. I was told a total was performed. My doctor moved away in the summer & I went to see his collegue last week (also a shoulder only man) to discuss the continued pain & immobility & while there he told me that I needed a total replacement because my hemi didn't work!!! I told him I didn't have a hemi, which seems kind of silly now since he's the doc & was standing there pointing at my x-ray & my hemi!! I told him what the other doc said & he repeated that I got a hemi! I'm scheduled for total replacement March 13th. He said this was the only thing they didn't agree on was the hemi!!

To Chris24 who is 36 with horrible shoulder pain. You need a second opinion. I am having a total shoulder replacement in 3 weeks at age 40. My doctor put me off for 3 years, but the pain is so bad I cannot function. (My problems started from a strep infection that damaged cartilage in my shoulder and ankle). I finally went in and told my doctor if she didn't refer me to an orthopedic shoulder specialist I would no longer call her my doctor. She did it, he couldn't believe how bad my MRI's looked (worse than anyone over 80 he has ever seen). The surgery is scheduled for June 16th. Hoping for the best.

To the Guest above, thank you for posting on your experience. I think a lot of people who post here do not realize that you can see someone other than your physician or that you can get a second opinion, so you can at least make sure that the doctor you are seeing is on the right path. Doctors can make mistakes or at times they can make huge mistakes so it's always good to be an active participant in your recovery.

Dear Guest: I have a sister who just had her 2nd hip replacement, and a husband that needs both knees replaced. The main reason why your doctor didn't want to send you to anyone is because of your age. Each replacement has a short life span. 5 - 10 years MAX! So what they want is usually older people so that it is worth it for them. The problem is that there are more and more young people with Osteo arthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis etc, that waiting is IMPOSSIBLE! But that been said, technology has not caught up to the need of the younger population.

When there is ever a replacement, there HAS to be good bone to attach the replacement too!! So when you have a surgery then in 5 - 10 years another one!!! It can get REALLY dicey!!! So your doctor really isn't too blame.

My sister had her 1st hip replacement after her natural hip broke in half!!!! she was 36!! Then she just had the 2nd one at age 40! And as she said "I would rather have 5 - 10 years of relatively pain free, than have to go through one more day of this!" which is so true - as in your case!

With proper use, and following all the doctors advice, hopefully you can make your new shoulder last longer than they can imagine! I wish you all the best!

Hi every-one,

I had a total shoulder replacement at 30 years of age. I had no choice, I was in a car accident and shattered my shoulder so badly they couldnt pin it back together. A year on now I'm doing well, if anyone wants to ask me any questions about the operation or the athermath

thanks,

Gillian

Hi Gillian, I'd like to hear how you're doing since your surgery. I would like to know as much as you can tell me about the surgery and about your recovery process too. I am curious to hear about how the whole process goes. Thanks for posting and let me know!

Wow , I can't believe some of things I"m reading here.! First of all, there is noway that someone can tell you how long your implant( any kind) will last. There are way too many factors that have to be considered . Probably the most important one is the activity level that the device will be subject to and even then you cannot really say. I know several people that have had hip replacements for well over 25 years each and their life style could in no way be called sedentary.Someone said that they were told that they would never get back a good ROM and always be in pain??? Then why have the surgery?? There are two very important factore in any sucessful joint replacement.#1 an experienced surgeon and #2 hard work in PT afterwards.There's no other way to get the best results.How do I know all this? I have bilateral THRs and I'm now 10 weeks post-op total shoulder replacement.My hips were done 6 & 4 years ago. I was back to playing competative tennis after each in a relatively short time( 3-4 months). During that time I worked my a-- off in therapy and came out stronger than ever. I'm in the middle of my shoulder therapy and I will admit that it's difficult, even more so than the hips, but I see the results ,albeit slow. I fully expect to return to tennis by the spring, as does my OS.These surgeries are quite remarkable and in the right hands, everyone should have better than good outcomes.
All the above is JMHO..
Barbara

I everyone, I've been reading some of your posts. I am a 30 y/o female who was involved in a car accident. I have had 7 shoulder surgeries on my right shoulder. I, too, am absolutely miserable. I have been to many doctors and while they all agree that I need a replacement no one is willing to perform one. They all say I'm too young. I have lost everything. My career, my money, my independence.....I cannot work and therefore have no hope of earning a living. I am lost and have no idea what to do, who to see or what the future holds.

:'(
My husband had a reverse shoulder replacement 10 days ago, and continues to be in excrutiating pain. U*nfortunately, during surgery they also broke his arm -- so he is suffering with bone pain along with the rest of it. He was in reasonablly decent shape due to a year's worth of water physiscal therapy, but nothing prepared us for the amount of agony he's in. He was on pain medication before surgery, and is on much more now, but nothing seems to get on top of it. Thankfully, he's able to sleep for short bursts of time. He's nearly 70 yrs old, and has had one physical problem after another for the last 4 years (stroke, open heart surgery to replace aorta,etcetc).
Any encouragement or suggestions about pain management greatly appreciated

hi my name is don i had shoulder replacement surgery feb 10 2011  it will be four months june 10 i feel good im a golfer please reply  8-|