I wanted to put a quick post up as I found it very hard to get information on this topic, and was quite scared facing the possibility of an operation while pregnant. I suffered an acute low back pain episode while 6 weeks pregnant and at first assumed it would go away in a few days like previous episodes had. However, this time I also had pain and numbness down my left buttock and leg. My symptoms didn't get worse but stayed the same despite physio and various tries of rest, hydrotherapy etc.
My pain meant that I couldn't lift my 2 kids (of course), couldn't drive more than about 2-3mins, couldn't walk more than 500m, couldn't stand still more than about 5mins and couldn't sit through even a short family meal. I struggled with shoes and socks. The sofa bed took up permanent placement in the lounge room so I could be near my family.
I had an MRI at 10 weeks pregnancy (4 weeks into the injury) as the symptoms were odd enough they concerned my neurologist that something nasty (cancer) may be going on. Luckily no nasties, but a very big herniated disc (in fact extruded) at L5-S1.
When I was 20 weeks pregnant with no real change in symptoms but a much bigger baby, a friend who is an orthopaedic surgeon expressed the opinion I urgently needed to seek an opinion regarding microdiscectomy. So within a few days I had an operation date only a week away from a neurosurgeon! The concern was that with the duration of symptoms and severity of the problem I would almost certainly end up with an emergency situation, cauda equina syndrome, and if this were in the third trimester it would be much harder to do the surgery and also more dangerous for both me and the baby. In fact, during the 4 days preceding the operation I had to be hospitalised for severe pain and started having difficulty urinating - which meant I had reached the emergency situation. I was very lucky that I had already booked my operation with the surgeon of my choice!
So I had the operation at 21 weeks, microdiscectomy at L5-S1. The pain went away - leg pain immediately and back pain over a period of weeks. 10 weeks later my back does not feel 'normal' yet, and I am still numb down my leg, but my months of complete dysfunction are ended and despite nasty reflux (liquid diet!) and pubic symphysis dysfunction I feel happier and more confident with the pregnancy. Baby seemed to come through completely fine, still no concerns on any measurements anyone has made and plenty of active kicking!
Good luck to anyone in this sort of difficult situation, and I have to say I am very glad I booked in for the surgery, my outcome has been excellent.

I'm glad to hear that you had such a good experience and I appreciate that you've posted your story so that people know about the issue. Thanks for posting it as I'm sure others will definitely benefit from it. Thanks again!

Thank you for this info.... it has been very helpful...... alot of my questions were answered just by your story! Thanx Again.....

hi have just found out im pregnant but i have 4 swollwn discs in my spine n been told i wil have to have a operation but just wondering if i will still be able to have it if u have any information i would be very grateful many thanks 

I am just one week after having surgery. had heal legs leg,foot, buttock, and private areas going numb then in middle of night I was not able to stand or walk at all even with help.  I had to be transported to hospital via ambulance.  Anyway now I have no pain in back abut left leg still numb and has twitching spasms and shooting pain.   I can'ad hardly stand it.  Any suggestions?  Also I have lost all muscle tone in leFt leg. I am scared to death that i won't regain feeling.  Baby is doing fine I am 31 week now and am wishing for pregnancy to be over. I know I had no choice but to have surgery, but the recovery is hard and a lonely journey no one seems to get the pain that I'm going thru. 

Thank you so much for this post! I was actually scheduled to have my microdiscetomy and found out I was pregnant during the preadmissions testing. My ruptured disc is in the exact same spot too, I have been worried about going through the entire pregnancy with this pain and I'm relieved to know its possible to make it through both.

Holy cats! Something very similar is happening to me. I am 15 weeks pregnant I have what the spine doc called a "gnarly" disc rupture also in l5/s1. Tomorrow I see the surgeon and I'm a bit nervous. So glad to hear you had a positive outcome- where did you have your surgery?

Hi I'm wondering if you could help! Two weeks ago I had a microdisectomy and Cauna equina decompression surgery on my lower spine and have just found out I'm around 5/6 weeks pregnant! I'm very anxious and worried about how this pregnancy will affect the recovery and overall health of my back further into the pregnancy, has anyone been through a similar situation?

Hi Sue, Sane for me....looking for any info on this. 3 weeks post op l5/s1 microdiscectomy and just found out about 6 weeks pregnant. I dealt with this psin for over 2 years prior to surgery, so I am worried about recovery now being pregnant. If you find any info please share!

It's reassuring to read that I am not the only one going through this. I had sciatica before I found out I was pregnant. When I was prescribed medication at the urgent care, I decided to do a home pregnancy test. And there it was, I was pregnant. I was still able to move around but in pain until week 10. I've been completely bed ridden for the last four weeks and have been consistently on Percocet for pain, which helps very little. It brings me to tears when I have to crawl to the bathroom. I've also had two courses of oral steroids and one injection. I had my surgery consultation today and will proceed with microdiscetomy in four days. Never in a million years did I think that I would be in this situation. I just hope the remainder of the pregnancy goes well and the baby handles it well.

I just had a microdiscetomy four days ago and I'm 15 weeks pregnant. I was completely. I mean completely bedridden for 4 weeks prior to the surgery. I can't finally walk. I'm just suffering from nausea now from the withdrawal from Percocet that I've been on for over a month and constipation. I'm also worried about delivery. The last thing I want is to re herniate the disc and end up in this situation.

I am 15 weeks pregnant and suffering with the same problem. Can you tell me the doctor who performed the procedure on you?. All the doctors I see are not willing to do a surgery on pregnant woman.

No one would do the procedure on me. I ended up having a blind injection of steroids. It worked really well for me. My baby is now 4 month olds and doing well

Thanks for this. I have the same concerns as I am very early in pregnancy but, have had the disk issue for months. It hurts so bad and I was very concerned about the surgery and being pregnant.

Hi, I had the same back issue and the pain went to the left leg. I couldn't sit or lie down for more than a minute . All I could do was standing only, which was very difficult with pregnancy n lack of sleep due to the pain. I finally had the discetomy. It was an open surgery on my L3 and L4 area when I was around 16 weeks pregnant. Now my son is 3 months old and is doig fine. The leg pain disappeared immediately after surgery but back pain was still der n was getting painful as pregnancy proceeded but things were manageable and not worse as before the surgery.