It has been always thought that when the needle introduces the medicine into buttocks, the job is done and a proper dosage has reached the bloodstream. A new study done in Ireland shows that may not be the case. Injectable medicines are suspected of not reaching the blood in the prescribed dosages, especially in heavy people.

Scientists followed intramuscular injections in 50 patients of different sizes and shapes by using a CAT scan and they found that around 70% of the dosage didn’t get through the buttocks.
An amazing thing is that one has never looked at this although so many drugs are being delivered intramuscularly. Painkillers, contraceptives and vaccines could have failed so many times.

The scientists are now working to see how much drug is absorbed by the body and whether heavier people need larger doses.

If medicines remain in the fatty tissue, they could cause inflammation and infection.

I am nurse educator and it appears that this issue has been considered and we are now delivering our intramuscular injections by a different technique. Intramuscular injection is now given via the ventro-gluteal muscle which has less adipose tissue and also less chance of injury to the sciatic nerve.

I am an overweight woman 245lbs. I had an injection for pain in guatemala about in March. After two weeks I got the worst headache and my blood pressure went to the roof. I ended up in he hospital with hypertention ad was in observation for three days. I came home right away and on my flight I started having very scary symptoms, my heart started beating very fast, I felt like my blood pressure was high and felt like I was having a anxiety attach. They had the ambulance ready when I arrived. I was transfered to the hospital where they did x-rays, cat scan, ekgs. Nothing came out they put me on high blood pressure medicine, anxiety medicine, folic acid. I was ok for about two weeks then I noticed my left buttock was getting sore and I had a black/blue spot. I got my period and my blood was black. I went to my obgyn and he gave me antibiotics and te black/blue spot started to drain. I went to the er where they did an ultrasound of my left buttocks and did surgery on it. Thy drained it out and cut out whatever was infected. I had the surgery on April 15 and I took care of it and was healing for two weeks but I pulled the bandage of it and scab came off and it started to drain lots of puss. What do I do? By the way I still have anxiety attaches and my blood pressure still goes up once in a while. I am excercising every day and eating right. I have lost 15 lbs. What is wrong with me.