I have a very painful red swollen area on my buttocks, and it is hot to the touch. It is very painful even to sit. In December, I contracted Cellulitis apparently from a bug while working in a Basement. I was given Anti-Biotice and it went away. About 1 1/2 months later, I got it again on my arm and it went away after Antibiotics.
About a month ago, I was in much pain with the red swollen area on my buttocks, and the Dr prescribed Antibiotics over the phone because I told her I believed the Cellulitis came back again. I was Antibiotics for I think 19 days, had the area covered with Band Aids, and the area finally "broke" and a bloody/puss substance came out for days. A pretty fair size hole developed, and I could actually see the white fatty tissue inside my body. The hole finally closed.
However, about 2 weeks later, the red, swollen, hot painful area is back again. I bought a black salve today hoping to draw the poisin/infection out. Any idea what this might be? And if there is anything I could do to prevent this from coming back. I am in alot of pain....

hmm ... it could be some rash or something, but also I can remember a friend of mine had similar symptoms by some STD he caught from his partner.

I think you need to share more info so we could try to help you ...
Here are some questions ...

How large is this painful area?
Do you see or feel any underskin lumps on that area?
Did you notice any vaginal discharge? (I suppose you're a female?!? :-)
Does your skin feel dry on affected area?
Do you have fever or any other soreness?

It could be bacterial inflammation, but also it could be a transmitted rash related disease. There's also possibility you have a kind of allergy, but also it could be a kind of skin sore.

If I was on your place, I would see a good dermatologist, because you have it already and it has gone with an antibiotic which means it was a kind of infection or inflammation, but it came back again. It means the treatment wasn't good enough.

Let us know more about your condition and don't hesitate to visit your dermatologist as soon as possible ...

Thanks alot for the info Vickerman. I would say the affected area is about 3-4 inches long and about 3 inches wide. I don't feel any bumps underneath, it is smooth but protrudes. The best way to describe it is that is like an abcess....not flat but rounded. No Vaginal Discharge as I am a male! It feels hot to the touch and hurts when I sit on it.
Thanks much!

You really should get checked for MRSA, I had it, and thats exactly what happened to me.

It sounds like a cyst to me. When it happens again you need to tell a Dr.

It needs to have a sterile dressing inserted into it everyday until it closes.

Ask your doctor to test for a staph infection. Specifically MRSA, Methacyllin resistant staphacocsis aureas, not exact on the spelling. I had this condition and it sounds just like what you have. The first one I had a dermatologist drain, and they had to put packing in the whole in my back. They continued to spread, and eventually they figured out what I had. They were VERY painful and hot to the touch. I still have some scars on my back years later from some of the biggest bumps.

i have the same symptoms, i had the large red hot to the touch bastard on my buttocks which spread, went away with anti-bios then came back weeks after they were gone, is this a common thing, why wont they go away, is it any indication of immune deficiency, if you guys said they came back after they were gone, then it kinda sets my mind to ease, i just wish it would go away, my butt hurts, and i cant sit down at work without hurting

I suspect I also have MRSA, but because I'm in the military, they're too cheap to test me for it although I have had a few "breakouts" in the past year. A couple I had were while I was pregnant, which was EXTREMELY uncomfortable, as one was on my bottom and one was actually on the outer part of my...yeah, well, privates we'll say. I also had another on my leg that came from an ingrown hair, so they say, but grew to a huge lump and had to be lanced (while I was eight and half months preggo and having contractions). After i had the baby, things calmed down, and then recently I tweezed my eyebrows and a day later, a lump started forming just under the hair of my eyebrow.. the lump grow to be the size of a golfball, the eye was swollen shut, it had to be lanced also, so now I have a scar under my eyebrow that's horrible (mainly because I'm a model and facial irregularities are a major disaster to us). I begged for them to please test me for MSRA at that point because that eye thing was so damn painful I couldn't sleep. Then, a few weeks later, I had one IN my lower lip.. a huge lump that hurt so bad, again, I couldn't sleep. They still won't test me for MSRA and continue to "treat" me with antibiotics that don't really do anything, apparently. I've been told I have cellulitis, staph infections, I was told to "wash with antibacterial soap" as if I didn't lead a clean enough lifestyle, which I found extremely rude and condescending because I AM in the military, I already use antibacterial soap, I already have a very militant, clean lifestyle, and they're acting like I'm a dirty person, which I find offensive. If other people are having the same issues, I would suggest getting an appointment with a dermatologist, as I have scheduled. I hope that works out and this problem goes away, because it's becoming increasingly painful each time. But if anyone has more info on MSRA, please let me know so I can investigate it more.
Thanks!

i had something similar but went to the doctor and discovered it was a preanal abcess. nothing too serious.

You most likely have MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus)

When you go to Dr. make them take a culture and test it for MRSA.

MRSA is very common in the community now, it's imparitive that you recieve the proper treatment for this. If it contiunes I would suggest making and appointment with an ID Doctor (Infectious Diease Specialist)

Three years ago, I had 7 MRSA Outbreaks finally after being followed

by an ID Doctor, I've not had any problem since. Good Luck.

It sounds to me like MRSA. You need to go back to the doctor ASAP! MRSA is a form of Staff Infection and if not trated properly it can lead to disfigurment and even death! Kepp the area clean at all times and constantly wash your hands!

MRSA can live in your body forever once contracted and can come out at any point. There is a product called Theives, it is an essential oil that will help prevent outbreaks. Collodial Silver will also help to kill the virus.

DO NOT reuse our towels, nor share them. My son got it from my husband 3 months after his dads cleared up, with no active infection or sign thereof.

For those that have questions on MRSA, I am a clinical laboratory student and currently doing my clinical rotation in a microbiology lab. When a wound is cultured, it goes through a series of tests. One of them being a susceptibility test. This determines which antibiotics the organism is resistant and susceptible to. These results are then reported to the doctor so that he or she may prescribe an antibiotic that should be effective. At most labs, if Staphylococcus aureus is the identified organism, it is worked up further to determine if it is MRSA. If it is MRSA, the doctor is notified and now has the knowledge of which drugs will not be effective and which will. In the case of MRSA Vancomycin or Clindimycin are usually the antibiotics of choice.

It sounds like it could be a staph infection or mrsa infection. I once got a small red bump on the back side of my leg, it was a bit painful at first, but I didn't think anything of it. It just looked like a bug bite in the beginning. However, as the day went on it became more and more painful, it was starting to hurt to bend my leg or even to walk. The size of the bump also increased. I ended up going to the hospital for it and the doctor removed much of the puss from the infection. I was talking antibiotics for about 2 weeks and the nurse had to continue to extract puss out for several days. It finally healed up, but I have a large dent-like scar there. It was extremely painful and at times, I honestly thought I was going to die! Staph infections and mrsa tends to come back over time because it's in your blood and system once you get it the very first time.

If it is at the cleft of your butt, sounds to me like an infect pilonidal cyst. I have one that gets infected every couple years and it must be drained. One thing I was told to help minimize the chances of it getting infected was to lose some extra weight so there was less rubbing and irritation in that area.