Table of Contents
Dog - man’s best friend
If you’ve ever had a dog or cat as a pet you understand they are an endless source of entertainment and comfort. But dogs and cats are strange creatures that have some unusual traits that often make us wonder what is going on inside their brains. There are some interesting things about dogs and cats that many people don’t know and may bring some light onto those many questions we have about our pets.
Dogs; man’s best friend; this may be one of the truest statements ever made. A dog will know exactly what time you come home from work and will be waiting at the window or door for you to come in. They can’t tell time, but they do know this by some strange force of nature. Dogs also get bored and when they get bored they chew and when they chew it’s usually something of yours that you are rather fond of. They will chew one shoe; not both. They will shred a sofa to pieces. They will chew the legs off an end table. They know they aren’t supposed to do it because when you come home they are nowhere to be found; hiding somewhere and trying to think up a way to escape the punishment that awaits them. The thing is, unless you catch your dog in the act of doing something, it is pointless to punish them. For example; if you come home and see that your dog has urinated on the floor and you call him over to you, show him the puddle of urine, and then scold him, he has no clue. He thinks he is being scolded because he came to you. So, this gets embedded in his memory and thus every time you call him to you he is going to think he is being scolded. Here are a few facts you might not know:
- There are more than 5 million puppies born in the U.S.A. every year. That’s a lot of puppy chow.
- Puppies are born toothless, deaf, and blind.
- Dogs sweat through the pads on their feet; not by salivating.
- The oldest dog ever recorded was 29 years old
- The greyhound breed of dog can run as fast as forty-five miles an hour; my mother doesn’t even drive that fast.
- To date, there are over 8 hundred different breeds of dogs.
- The spotted Dalmatian is born spotless; the spots begin to appear as the dog gets older.
- If you smile at a dog he thinks you are bearing your teeth in aggression.
- The Basenji breed of dog is the only dog that cannot bark.
- In the United States there are approximately sixty-eight million dogs that have owners.
- Dogs hate for you to blow in their face but love to hang their head out the window when you drive; that one always puzzled me.
Here are the top dogs in America; the most popular breeds that people own:
- German Shepherd
- Labrador Retriever
- Golden Retriever
I have personally owned Labradors during my life time and am quite fond of that specific breed of dog. However, beagles come in a close second and make excellent pets for children. Dogs really can be man’s best friend.