Hi, my father is diagnosed with prostate cancer and we are all here in shock. However, the time is passing and we have to think what to do. Does anyone know what should we do next?

Hi, when I was diagnosed with prostate cancer a year ago, asked my doctor what are the options. She told me that there are many ways of treating this disease, and every patient need different approach. I had to make a decision quickly, and I didn’t have too much time to think about it. She explained me that every moment is important, and that cancer has to be moved as soon as possible. I had to weigh the benefits of each treatment and to do many different tests for possible side effects. Don’t waist your time, go with your father to doctor, and ask him everything about next steps in treating prostate cancer. Most common therapies for prostate cancer are surgery, radiation, and hormone therapy. Sometimes are also used chemotherapy and watchful waiting.

deakins wrote:

[/
quote]
How old is your dad? I understand that has a lot to do with the decision making when it comes to what to do about prostate cancer. One big caveat though - if he has to have the surgery, be damned sure you get the best surgeon you can find to do the job and that means one who has done a lot of these things and knows what he's doing.

First of all dont panic. Our family also were shocked that our father had this disease, expecially since he was athletic all his life. Get to specialist, they will recommend the treatement, but also get a second opinion as well. There are lots of methods now to address this and most are quite successful, its all about catching it in time.