Can I get some information? I am going to the doctor next week to be screened for prostate cancer because I fall into the category that is at risk of getting it. I feel totally fine and I am sure that I don't have prostate cancer, but in preparation I would still like to hear about prostate cancer and how it is treated. What is the most efficient method to treat prostate cancer?

Killie,

Two common methods of detecting prostate cancer are PSA, Prostate Specific Antigen screening along with a digital exam. In the PSA test, certain markers are looked for and the number is monitored. Usually anything below about a 4 is considered normal but verify with your doctor.

The digital exam is just that. The doctor palpates the prostate and checks for abnormalities in size and texture.

Treatment depends on how far it has progressed. Radiation treatment is available, chemotherapy, and cryogenic surgery are just some options. In some cases surgical removal of the prostate is necessary.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you have any more questions and good luck with your procedure.