I have a friend who is an alcoholic and drug addict. In the last year, she became addicted to methadone by illegal use. She told me that now she is off methadone and that she went to a Dr. who put her on a morphine patch in order to get her off methadone. In other words, the morphine patch is supposed to taper her off the methadone addiction withdrawals. Does this make sense? I have learned recently that bupenorphine is used to get methadone addicts off methadone, but she tells me she has been given straight up morphine in the form of a patch. I don't know if she is lying about all this since she has a history of abusing prescribed meds for legitimate physical health issues she is suffering from.
I don't see how a Dr. would replace methadone for morphine since morphine is so addictive.
Has anyone ever heard of this morphine patch as treatment for methadone addiction?
Thanx,
Monica

i have been on methodone for 5years for back injury. i have just completed 3weeks of methoadone withdrawal, horrific experience, no sleep, hot, cold, sweat, was prescribed subuted, 8mg for 3days and 6mg 3days, and so on for the 3weeks to detox, its still horible, had iknown how bad it was , i would have inquired about other options available, i believe i will make a grievience regarding this method of detox, using soley subutex without any sleep assistance, like ambien or some zanex , it was just too much too bear , should you ever have to detox off methadone, request the most fovored method respite costs........subutex alone is insufficient to deal with the wilthdrawal. now, i am going into surgury monday jan 7, for an impant of a morphene cathator drip to the spine for disc damage and nerves, bilatteral , both legs, cant walk without meds, hoping to go skiing in aspen , march 08, hope i make it........and no, never heard of meth withdrawal with morphene path, morphen is addictive as is methadone, and methadose is a generic for methadone, so i understand.........thanks , hope things are well and good for you and your friends......michael

Howdy
I am about to do just that. I have been on methadone for 10 years and now suffer really bad depression. I finally got referred to a specialist and after a lot of discussion with a shrink and my methadone doctor, I am to change to SROM(slow release oral morphine). There have been some tests and the results have been excellent. I am not trying to get clean yet but get my life back in order THEN I will try to wean myself off SROM just like methadone and hopefully get clean.
I am SO HAPPY to get off methadone and try something different.
BTW, morphine is NOT part of Australia's drug policy for addicts and is rarely allowed.

Terry Wright

The Australian Heroin Diaries
theaustralianheroindiaries.blogspot.com

Terry I am glad you wrote this,cause you helped me. I know...10 years on methadone is a very long time ,and I am sure that you can give me an answer because nobody answers me or do not want to ,to get to the point. My question is : How can I raise the dose ? Should i just ask the doctor or what ? Because my tolerance is higher and the 8ml is now just not enough for 24h,it's not covering me. What should I do ? I assume u had the same situations. Can i just ask my doctor to raise the dose to 12ml or is that to much ? Please give me a advice and help

take care!

That's working and it's proven. While I was in a detox clinic they gave me big doses of morphine first 150mg then 300,,,they gave me the MST Continuous...the pills were extended release like xanax Xr.
I did not feel even a "w" of withdrawal. They holding u on morphine so long until the methadone is out ouf your body,when the test is negative on meth. There is NO better way to get of meth ! You don't feel the physical pain but in your head is a mess.the psychic crisis is long,long....

Hi Terry I see your post is from a while ago, I would like to address your depression. Your brain is not making endorphins-the chemicals that make us feel good on our own. IThe brain will stop making them when we put 'outside' ones in our body. The brain figures,why should I make them, she's taking her own. Sometimes the brain will fire 'em up again. Sometimes not. Mine did not. Methadone eased my depression. A few years ago I had breakthrough depression and went on Prozac. I feel like my old self again. As you obviously can see, I am a huge suporter of MMT. You should be very proud of yourself. I hope you find something that works for you. There is no need for anyone to suffer, I feel, you might want to look into therapy and/or anti-depressants. Worth a try May good karma be with you always

just explain it to your doctor, they are there for harm reduction and to keep you off other opiods. it only really becomes a problem when you start playing games and constantly keep bumping your dosage- been on methadone for 5 years and im at 145 mgs

hey terry, ive been on methadone for 5 years at 145 aswell as xanax. THe methadone isnt doing it for me anymore and i dont know what to do. What did you explain to the doctor to be able to be perscribed something other then liquid handcuffs. i am really interested as i am only 21 and have been fighting addiction for too long now. Thanks ,Kris

I will tell you a story, a friend of mine had back surgery and was on that morphine patch for pain. She told me about the patch
but told me how high she got, so I asked for one and let me tell you it was like I had a shot of dope. I tried to get as many as I
could from her because the buzz was like that. But really the only way to come off of all is to taper and then stop. Most people
don't want to go through withdrawals but that is the price you pay for being ignorant. You can come off of all of the Meds but it takes
time for your brain to adjust and come back to normal. When you reach that point go to N/A and A/A meetings until further notice.