Hello. I'm 22 year old female and I need help in understanding some facts. Just the other day, my mother came home all frightened because she has heard that one terrible thing has happened to one neighbor. You see, she is young woman and recently got married and got a baby.
But these last couple of months she started to suffer from frequent urinary infections. The scariest thing is that yesterday she has noticed that these small part of feces is coming out of her vagina!!! Can you believe it. She is now in hospital and her mother told my mother that it is some kind of recto-vaginal fistula.

I know that this sounds scary but the truth is that many woman have developed this very unpleasant condition.
Recto vaginal fistula is abnormal communication between the rectum and female’s vagina.
The most common etiology is obstetric injury after hard labors when the baby is big and vaginal and cervical canal too small.
Most patients report passage of stool through the vagina, which is very distressing. This condition is almost always surgically corrected because this communication should be closed up. If not- some very complicated infections could occur such as vaginitis or cystitis!

Im a 14 yr old female who has these symptoms. You seem to know a lot about this so i was just asking if you could elaborate on the topic. Please bear in mind that i am not pregnant and never was and also, i have not been sexually active. Please, im quite scared so please help me.

this is to the 14 year old girl, not sexually active. I think that my problems began from being constipated as a child, and I clearly remember at about age 8, telling my Mom I thought I was trying to pass a square. she thought that was hilarious. but when I did force it out, the stool was hard as rock, and I hurt painfully. for a long time after, forever ! :-) I was afraid to poop, and I am now sure that I developed an anal fissure, which 20 years later contributed to the recto-vaginal fistula after the birth of my first child. I say, take miralax daily at bedtime until you can manage your daily bowels. I use miralax once or twice a week, but have a bm every morning before I leave the house. I get up 1&1/2 hrs before going anywhere. I enjoy a leisurely breakfast, cup of coffee and read the Bible. after 30-45 minutes I go the bathroom, take a shower, and go to work. it is my problem and I've lived with it 25 years, and will for 40 more ! :-) you can too ! Praise Jesus. He is the one who cares. (and me too!) take care of yourself ! you can do it. love, NL

I have not had any children and am not sexually active.  I too had problems as a child with constipation and have developed in my 30's a recto-anal fistula. Mine started as a abscess that was opened by a gynocologist that opened it from the wrong end, causing the infection to spread. I have been diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). I am also allergic too gluten (wheat etc.) products. I was told that mine may have started when I had a colonoscopy to remove polyps. I have Graves Disease (Hyperthyroidism) and my immune system is low, so I have also tested positive for MRSA which the doctors think I picked up in the hospital. I do not work yet because I have had nine surgeries in the last two years and a wound that hasn't healed yet. I too am a Christian and am blessed to have God to help me through all of this.