Hi, folks. My sister in law has been recently at the doctor’s and she has been discovered with arteriovenous fistula on ultrasound. I would like to know how often this condition happens. I hope someone here will know to answer me. Can anyone do that? I will appreciate it. Thanks, folks.

Hi, there. Arteriovenous fistulas are abnormal communication between arteries and veins. This communication is often presented as a tube or blood vessel. Sometimes it does not give any symptom and it is discovered by accident during the routine check ups. They can appear on various places in organism. Kidney fistulas can appear within 20% of the dialysis patients. I am not sure about the frequency of fistulas for other locations. You should discuss about this with your doctor. I hope I’ve helped you a little. Good luck!