My doctor has prescribed both Gemfibrozil and Simvistatin. It is for cholesterol control and both meds are described here as “to reduce the amount of cholesterol and certain fatty substances in your blood." I'm wondering is whether this is a reasonable combination? Maybe I just need one of two? Do they act differently enough so as to actually compliment the effects of each other?

My Doctor has prescribed me other combination. He gave me Gemfibrozil of 600 mg a day for triglycerides and 40 mg of Zocor for high cholesterol. I recently took Pravachol of 20mg and then 40 mg a day. This was for about 4 months, but the drug had no effect on my cholesterol levels, so the switch to Zocor followed. When filling my prescription today, a drug interact warning was triggered, but at that time my doctor told me not to worry about the warning. I can’t recall the explanation he gave me. Today the Pharmacist said that he knew of no doctors who prescribe these classes of drugs together saying they should be prescribed together.